Subject Author Posted Replies

Using a capacitor as a "wattless" dropper on 110 volt equipment?
Heres one I'd like to run past the leccy whizzes hereon for comment. I have a need to twiddle a large FM radio aerial to three distant transmitters that are 110 deg apart. Managed to find a very nice...
39
39

Repairing rusty Crittall windows
I've got several of these to do and am planning to tackle it in the same way I used to tackle car bodywork in the 70s: grind out the rust, paint with some sort of anti-rust primer, fill with polyester...
30
30

Free printer
Have you tried replacing the pick up rollers? It was the first suggestion that popped up after typing hp cp2025 into google. Seems to be a common problem. Tim
27
27

Shower problem
I had an overhead rain shower installed....simple knob turn on/off and hot/cold...cold water mains fed was okay coming out of shower head...hot was dribbling out...so installed a salamander 1.5 bar...
3
3

uPVC door lock - with latch
Helped our lad move house at the weekend, and upon first time arrival at the new place with his friend (lad stayed behind to carry on emptying his flat) there was an issue with the front door key. Or...
1
1

Mechanical engineering question.
I mentioned the adjustable (telescoping) dinghy trailer the other day and how it used to have plastic inserts / collars taking up the small (1mm or so) gap between the inner and outer, galvanised box...
4
4

Where can U get a key cut like this?
's off some weird DG door a elderly aquaihntance has and the key is falling to bits at the handle end. http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/IMG_20190506_161240.jpg...
44
44

3D printers
I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable,...
11
11

I'm in trouble
Got a drop of emulsion paint on a hot wood burning stove. Tried to wipe it off immediately with a wet cloth (and it removed most) but it's left a faint smear of baked on paint on the cast iron. On the...
7
7

bloody internet radio
anybody else being asked to "re-do your presets" because of changes in the provider? ...pain in the arse....
7
7

waterproof junction box
I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect...
11
11

One Strike Filler
I emailed Everbuild with the following question; "Hi I run a handyman service and have used One Strike filler for years - wonderful stuff! Usually I'm never there to see it dry, but I used it in my...
66
66

US size single gang blanking plate
I'd be grateful for any pointers to an online source for a US size single-gang blanking plate. Googling has turned up just one UK supplier: it would be good to have any others for comparison. Many...
28
28

wagga wagga
see that advert that is set in a beach hut in Australia....well what is that green box they are taking calls on ?...no idea what they are selling as I block adverts out .....
7
7

Got his measure I think
In our local DIY shop this morning. Customer (male, my age, well dressed, pompous manner) "It needs to be one metre and 30 centimetres." Salesgirl "Oh that's OK. It comes in 1.4 metre lengths."...
29
29