Subject Author Posted Replies

Movable screw posts on light switch / mains socket backing boxes
What is the best way of securing the captive nuts on an electrical backing box for a light switch or mains socket? I always find that if I unscrew the front screws (eg so I can paint behind the...
17
17

Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?
This is insane. Legally (like anyone pays any attention to these laws) you cannot do simple things like fitting an electrical socket to your own home, but you can change the brakes on your car. The...
55
55

DIY wiki
Is it me, or is the wiki is looking a little "stark" at the moment, as though it's missing style sheets or something?
4
4

Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?
Our lad inherited out old first-gen LCD HDTV (11 years old). Been fine (lost remote apart) for him for 5 years ... Now it still works, but when you turn it on, there's a crackling/fizzing sound from...
23
23

OT Adam will hate me
5th gear at 25 today.... heh. No problem at all.
5
5

Balancing a CH System
I'm confused by the steps, in particular where many instructions say "now repeat for the next radiator". Repeat from where? ie: Step 1 - from a cold system, open all valves, turn on heating, note the...
2
2

Clearing a blocked car screen wash jet
Unbelievably, just discovered, four years after buying a car, that the rear screen has a washer as well as wiper :-) Problem is, the jet, which angles the water 90 degrees, is blocked. Managed to...
16
16

the mitre saw thread has a problem
Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: £10 Sliding Mitre Saw', Account: 'The Eternal September server', Server: '', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 Invalid syntax encountered...
1
1

the 10 mitre saw thread
Seems to be somehow faulty. Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: £10 Sliding Mitre Saw', Account: 'The Eternal September server', Server: '', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response:...
3
3

Seeking a heated towel rail...
...but I want over 500watts(1700 btu). The ones that fit the requirement tend to be either massive or very clunky looking ones based around an old fashioned looking school radiator. I think I need one...
5
5

Does nitrile 2 part rubber exist
I'm very aware 2-part RTV silicone rubber exists at various moduli, but need something that is more oil resistant and can be moulded into a gasket of sorts. Any ideas?
13
13

Combined cordless screwdriver and drill
I am interested in getting a small cordless screwdriver like the one in Lidl at the moment. it possible for this to take a small drill bit to make a pilot hole? I haven't seen any combined cordless...
32
32

£10 Sliding Mitre Saw
Crusty & rusty, the plastic trim around the saw slot was broken. No big deal so far. One of the clamp holding screws was bent, trivial. The saw head was seized in the down position, impossible to...
4
4

Speed wrenches
A mate lent me his snap on speed wrench / flare nut set, and I don?t how I?m gonna live without them when I hand them back. The flare end gets a good grip on stubborn nut and flip it round to use the...

Best value car sound deadening
Hi peeps, what?s the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? I?ve heard of bitumen flashing being used by some, what?s current best practice/best value?...
20
20