Subject Author Posted Replies

Plasterboard paper surface peeling
Hi all, I have some internal stud/plasterboard walls, the paper is peeling away from the plasterboard at the joins in some areas. It's quite thick due to the number of coats of paint, so I can't just...
15
15

anon texts ?
if you can withold your number when you phone somebody why can you not when you text ?
4
4

Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel
I've had a Saniflo Sanishower tor over three years to pump waste from a garage sink to the main foul water pipe about 120cm above it. It has worked perfectly. during that time. It is in a...
11
11

Glen 2178 Convector Heater thermostat
Okay: I know the correct answer to the question is "chuck it away and get another one" but this is uk.d-i-y and I'd like to fix it if I can. I think the thermostatic control (143211 086-6 printed on...
7
7

Mobile phone - SMS works, calls don't :(
SWMBOs Alcatel Pixi 4 6" has started pissing about. Claims to be connected to the network (all bars up). However try to make a call and you're told it needs the SIM inserted. SMS send/receive OK, so...
13
13

Building regs and fire safety reform
Seen elsewhere: MHCLG and the Home Office have released these... This call for evidence seeks views and evidence on the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 for England in workplaces and the...
22
22

OT cutting greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050
Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.
69
69

Wirlpool
Some sympathies and concerns over the attempt to contact owners of tumble dryers. So many young people are so apathetic about stuff. Many won't read such items of news, They will not have completed a...
9
9

OT: Firewood splitting/burning qualities questions
Since we got our log burner and my chainsaw I?ve developed a bit of a serious ?hunter-gather? habit. Earlier this week I got some nice freshly cut oak to add to my collection that was easy to split,...
147
147

Has your electricals been recalled?
The thread about "Crackly fizzy (mechanical ?) noise from TV ?" has prompted me to look this up. "The average success rate of an electrical product recall in the UK is just 10-20%, this means that...
23
23

Aluminium brazing/soldering, how easy?
There seem to be lots of people selling aluminium brazing rods nowadays with claims that it's easy and as strong as welding. One of the major suppliers is Durafix:- anyone here have any experience of...
12
12

Plastic waste pipe
I wish there was such a thing as a "gooseneck" piece of pipe to enable a slight adjustment to be made. Any experience of the flexible length made by McAlpine? Anyone succefully applied a bit of heat...
12
12

Movable screw posts on light switch / mains socket backing boxes
What is the best way of securing the captive nuts on an electrical backing box for a light switch or mains socket? I always find that if I unscrew the front screws (eg so I can paint behind the...
17
17

Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?
This is insane. Legally (like anyone pays any attention to these laws) you cannot do simple things like fitting an electrical socket to your own home, but you can change the brakes on your car. The...
55
55

DIY wiki
Is it me, or is the wiki is looking a little "stark" at the moment, as though it's missing style sheets or something?
4
4