Subject Author Posted Replies

OT:- Internet of sh*t
For your amusement:- How to reset a GE smart lightbulb. Me? I leave all the lights on 24/7, much easier. Use the first reset sequence if: Your bulbs are running on firmware version 2.8 or later (you...
11
11

Calculating the size of a resistor
I have a 12v aquarium pump supplied by a 12v power supply, but, for my purposes, the pump performs ideally when running at 6v. Can I just put a resistor between the power supply and pump, to reduce...
43
43

Weed-proofing a gravel path
I have a patio area/path consisting of a couple of inches of pea gravel on top of some weed matting. When I first created this 20-odd years ago, I gave the soil a liberal dose of sodium chlorate...
21
21

Cavity insulation vs cavity tray
Hi All, We are eligible for a grant which would pay most of the cost of removing inefficient blown fibre insulation and its replacement with highly efficient beads (So says the ?surveyor? ). However,...
18
18

Flowblade
So I installed Flowblade video editor. What I want to do is cut a bunch of clips I have then glue a bunch of the reuslts together to make a video. That's it. So I read the destruction manual for this...
24
24

How old is your electricity meter?
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical one with the spinning disk. It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88" Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went...
12
12

Mobile PV setup design?
Anyone here know about designing a mobile PV setup - I've been handed an IC-BP3000-24 controller, six LSLC42-12 12v deep cycle batteries and five big PV panels on stands... My local beekeeping group...
45
45

Wiring regs regarding separate isolators
Whilst swapping my main CU, I am considering having a separate isolator switch so the service fuse will only have to be pulled once. Do the same rules regarding fire suppression apply as to a CU, all...
5
5

Worcester Bosch 38CDi GreenStar Water Pressure
We've had our WB 38CDi GreenStar boiler for about 6 years. In th elast few months it has developed the folloiwng faults: 1. Hot water not very hot 2. Heaters not very hot. A local engineer said the...
3
3

Re: OT: Fuggin' Hilarious!
The follow-up comments to that story on their website were the funniest thing about it. ;)

Radiator stand-off
Whilst I?m in the process of fitting a new radiator, I got to wondering about which way round to fit the wall hanging brackets. They have two orientations that give two different stand-off distances....
3
3

Building a wall
And because the Mexicans aren't paying for it, I'm looking for something adequate (and which meets any regs) but not over-engineered. It'll be an outside wall, no windows, and from the outside in: One...
36
36

Banana experiment
I read somewhere, that if the stalk of a banana is covered over with cling film, they will ripen more slowly. So I have just tested the theory. Six bananas in a bunch, split them up and cover the...
8
8

OT Forced new smart meters
Hi All We have had a letter from EON our energy supplier (although not sure whether electric or gas as can't recall) to say that by law they have to change our existing old fashioned meters with a...
139
139

Sudden whiff from 1/2 bowl centre sink ?
For the past couple of weeks, every morning there has been a "drainy" whiff in the kitchen. We have sink with a main bowl and a smaller centre bowl. Careful inspection revealed that the outlet from...
15
15