Subject Author Posted Replies

Doorbell?
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v...
46
46

Women
Just been to sort out an alarm sensor. Whilst I was there she asked if I could look at her fridge as the top of the fridge had gone dark. A nice new fridge with just one light halfway down the fridge....
160
160

Ship Of Theseus?
Had to look that one up. The same idea as my grandfather's yard brush which has had 4 new heads and 3 new handles but is still the same brush!
26
26

Recording from Panasonic smart TV
My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They are struggling with it. I don't know what they had before, but...
82
82

G8KDU?
Seems to lack the bonhomie that should accompany the international gentlemanly tradition of amateur radio.
12
12

Consumer unit upgrade quotes
Ive just has three quotes to upgrade our old fuse box to a modern consumer unit. £1,300, £625 and £550. The £1,300 guy didn't even visit he just asked for photos. The £625 guy said we needed new...
18
18

oil
should oil be coming out of the drain hole of the tank of a new compressor when you unscrew it after use......thought it should only be water???
3
3

'Best' MCB rating for boiler + washing machine?
For a 2.5mm2 radial circuit supplying a washing machine (via a double 13A socket) and a boiler/pump/valves (via 3A FCU) would a 16A or 20A MCB be 'best', and why? If the spare 13A socket might end up...
18
18

Red LED on Parkside SDS
I have had a mains Parkside BMH 1100 SDS drill for a few years, its been 100% reliable, soon after getting it (after the instruction were lost) a red LED lit up leaving me guessing as to what it was...
8
8

Socket terminal screws not grabbing cable....
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either side. What would a proper electrician do in this...
34
34

cast iron garden bench
we have replaced wood on garden bench. but it is wobbling side to side it has all its straps etc. does the wood lats have to be very tight into each end ? the sides wrought iron are Lyon heads which...
6
6

Removing a rivet
I have a roof ladder which has bearer brackets every few rungs, which stand it off the roof a few inches. I need to move one of these brackets. I'd like to make sure I remove the bracket without...
4
4

high rise locks of flats ...
Just heard on the radio Scotland 2pm news that the Scottish building standards are to be amended to require two escape stairs from all new tower blocks of flats and requirements for cladding to be...
29
29

Cloudy headlights
Polycarbonate is quite sensitive to environmental stress cracking when exposed to polar solvents. Headlamp recovery kits typically come with a UV resistant lacquer that is presumably compatible.
39
39

Sir - is that a sign of age
At a loose end this morning - I've just been in a very large Tesco, a few miles from here and had a breakfast. I had no less than five 'Sirs' whilst in there - have Tesco gone up market? Makes a...
90
90