Subject Author Posted Replies

rivet for spade handle
In the past I just used a 6" nail to form a rivet to fix a wooden spade handle but wondered if is worth annealing it first so it would form a head easier, is steel in a wire nail a higher carbon than...
9
9

Cutting gears?
What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears, to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?
10
10

New door handles
I was asked to replace all the door handles in someone's 1970s bungalow. They had nasty brass lever handles and had bought a load of stainless steel lever handles from BQ. I discovered that the square...
9
9

silver sand gets washed away
I have some block paving that's on a slope. The slope varies from 1:40 to 1:10. When the rain washes across the area it takes some of the silver sand. What's the way to stop this happening? Bill
13
13

Error 10 concept pro VHSDIR-870EXT outdoor camera
I've got a problem with one of the memorial hall ptz cctv cameras. The camera in question is about 7/8 years old, pre IP model. It regularly "sticks" in one rotation direction and seems to sit...
2
2

Whaley Bridge ballast
I'm just musing. The bags appear to be standard one ton bags. Hundreds of them. Where are they coming from? I wonder how much they are costing. A ton of ballast is normally £35 to £40. Are they...
48
48

Diagnosing electric shower fault
Hello, I have a Triton T80xr electric shower which has stopped supplying hot water. In other words, whenever I use it the water is cold. Before this, there was a bit of iffiness and sometimes when the...
3
3

Shaver light question
I have a shaver socket / light over the hand basin in the bathroom, with 240/110 volt outlets. The light is fluorescent, not LED, operated by a pull-switch. I noticed the other day that one end of the...
14
14

Whaley Bridge pumps...
Why not syphons? I mean, pumps use power, quite a lot of it and are relatively expensive. For a syphon, you just need a suitably sized bit of pipe. Tim
144
144

OT: What to wear?
I was intrigued to see the soldier in charge of the Dam safety work wearing a High Visibility 'vest' over his camouflage clothing. Now you see me, now you don't. Rather like the old Chameleon car...
15
15

Flourescent tubes. 1200/1214-1500/1514mm
Have a failing tube with no markings apart from wattage (35W). It looks like 5ft, but wtf are there ones an extra 14mm available ?
10
10

Small plane for planing inside rabbeted frame?
I had one but left it with my son in law in Canada. Now I can't remember the name of that type of plane and I need one. It was an all metal body and if the nose was unscrewed and removed it was...
2
2

heat exchanger
how does a heat exchanger heater work in an electric car?...how can it be more efficient than an resistive heater?...where does the energy come from ? ....
19
19

Ring circuit test - how much difference should worry me?
I have just been working on our electrics and, among other things, removed some sockets from a ring circuit as they were on a stud wall which will soon be removed. While I was about it I checked the...
8
8

How fast can a 'conventional' boiler heat water?
We have a fairly new 'Intergas Compact HRE 24' boiler, the 'Domestic Hot Water' rating is 'Input: 5.6 - 22.1kW'. Does this mean that it should be able to pump heat at a rate of 22.1kW into our hot...
11
11