Subject Author Posted Replies

DVD writer mystery ?
Acquired an old system box from our lad ... DVD tray was jammed. Started investigating, and whatever the problem is, the thing works fine dissembled (tray slides in and out when eject button is...

Russ abot bell wire?
Most expensive bell wire I have seen.... if its for 1.5km https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Ochoos-15roll-Extension-Connector-Electric/dp/B07QB2J3WR
6
6

Well OT - yellow warnings of......Met Office
This year there seem to be almost daily yellow warnings of rain, wind, thunderstorms from the Met Office. Now it could be that the weather has become permanently extreme, but in a lot of cases the...
15
15

A Quarter of Humanity Faces Looming Water Crises
A Quarter of Humanity Faces Looming Water Crises By S Sengupta & W Cai, 8/6/19, NY Times BANGALORE, India ? Countries that are home to one-fourth of Earth?s population face an increasingly urgent...

Russian Media Muffle Protest Images, Broadcast Beef Kebabs
Russian Media Muffle Protest Images, Broadcast Beef Kebabs President Putin is trying to stop demonstrations without stoking further discontent over a poor economy, a pension revamp and endemic...

stupid RBS
Last few times I went on Internet banking with RBS they want to send a one time code to my phone......well this morning the phone is out in the car so I can't check my account.....very annoying you...
18
18

car boot sale sockets
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......
25
25

DIY fly trap glue
Hello all. I'd like to make a horsefly trap with a black bucket covered in non-setting glue. YouTube has many examples and they seem to catch the things. Horsefly trap glue is available to buy, but...
2
2

Alternative URL shortener
I usually use TinyURL, but IME it can't handle links to PDF's. Can anyone recommend an alternative that does?
10
10

Looking for an adaptor
That's what I did before. Would be nicer to keep these as is. Maybe I could contemplate moulding something in plastic, probably be strong enough for small bits. NT
14
14

The perils of commercial kits
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see. Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the back...
8
8

drills for stainless steel
I need to drill 30 odd 4.5mm holes in a stainless steel pipe; I'm drilling a small pilot hole ~ 1mm first . Usual type blunt too quickly 4 holes ! Pipe wall thickness is only 1mm and I thought I'd get...
13
13

Garden shredders
Anyone got any experience of electric garden shredders that can cut wood up to 40mm diameter. Are these devices much good? There are a number of makes any recommendations?
28
28

Passing (CAT6) cable over loft from below ?
Finally admitted defeat (passim) with wireless anything to my utility- cupboard stashed server and want to run a proper CAT6 cable to it. It's in a space which already has a small hole in the...
28
28

OT Engineers
Cribbed off the internet. Engineers. Two engineering students were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was...
2
2