Subject Author Posted Replies

vertical radiators
If I change a conventional (horizontal) radiator for a tall vertical one of the same BTU / Wattage, will there be any differences in the heating effect?
6
6

OT: another scam? Or one that folks have seen before?
I look after choosing the electric supplier for our village hall. Yesterday, I had a call from a woman with an Indian accent, from xxxx Associates (don't remember the name but it was a Glasgow number)...
4
4

Cable needed for 7KW EV charger
My garage is not joined to the house, a metre wide path separates it. At the moment power to the garage is via a 13 amp plug-in socket inside the house, with a short length of 16 amp flexible core...
27
27

DIYish. Linux question.
Why does octoprint on a RPi not find the printer if you plug it in after starting the RPi but works fine if the USB is connected first? It doesn't do that on windows.
7
7

Re: Why is hi-vis clothing easier to see? What's so special about the colour?
OK in the 1960s you could get a two part paint. It used to be called Day Glo. The basic stuff was a white undercoat and the colour you wanted on top. There was a green but most were amber or yellow. I...
5
5

Ring or radial?
I'm speccing up installing sockets in a brick garage. It currently has a CU with an adjacent pair of double sockets on a short radial. I want to put some sockets at various points around the far...
16
16

Re: Why is hi-vis clothing easier to see? What ?s so special about the colour?
They rely on the reflective strips that some have. These have glass or plastic beads that reflect light back in the direction of the light source.
4
4

Bathroom Tiles
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look ok? It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq....
16
16

Re: DIY Optician
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times (and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single prescription pair would be better. These might fit that...
29
29

Problem reading USB attached disk drives
I'm trying to read some old SATA drives using a Liteon Ultra enclosure. windows disk management (Win10 Pro)sees the disk but says it needs to be initialised, but trying to initialise as MBR fails. Any...
12
12

OT Giant RC model aircraft
(PART 1 OF 5 ) A COMPILATION VIDEO OF THE RC MODEL AIRCRAFT SHOW THAT THE LMA (LARGE MODEL ASSOCIATION) PUT ON AT RAF COSFORD BACK IN JULY, THERE WAS A STAGGERING AMOUNT OF GIANT SCALE AIRCRAFT FLYING...
23
23

Sealing shower waste
Hi All I am installing a new shower tray and the waste it comes with has a very thin washer that goes on top of the tray and underneath the waste fitting. Is this enough to seal the top or should I...
13
13

OT:EDF Electric 'Car' tarriff
Just noticed this after paying my quarterly bill. There is a tariff supposedly for EV cars that you own *or* have the 'use' of :-) Seems to work like E7 with an interesting variation- The Off peak...
13
13

Solar Panels <> Resilience
The incoming power to our section of road failed at 3am Sunday and it was 2.35pm (yes, just below the compensation threshold of £150) when it was restored. It was of course a nice sunny day - ideal...
38
38

You and me are aiding Chinese exporters via postage costs subsidy
A lot of DIYers buy bits and pieces on line (eg Ebay) and we may be amazed at how something that comes all the way from China can be a whole lot cheaper than exactly the same item sent within the UK....
41
41