Subject Author Posted Replies

Loosen big old slotted screws in Wood
Big very old slotted head screws in door jamb don't want to loosen. Any crafty tricks to encourage them please? I really dont want to damage the slots if possble.
29
29

Aluminium roofing "slates".
Hello, another pointless question. What would be the drawbacks of having a roof made from "slates" of aluminium, so individual panels of appropriately thick (I've no idea how thick but I've been told...
22
22

o Away
You say you don't need a relevant PhD in order to dismiss the work of a learned Professor of Economics (and a Nobel Laureate to boot) as "bullshit"? I beg to differ. You are clearly setting yourself...
31
31

Bosch J450 Sanding Roll
I'm in need of some 80 grit and was attracted by the cloth backing of this Bosch j450 but failed to find reviews of it. Any experience (or superior searching) please?
2
2

sprayer threads
I have two backpack sprayers (one stihl, the other makita) and an assortment of nozzles an corresponding holders. the makita seems to be all G-1/4" BSP the stihl is quite coy about what sizes it uses,...
2
2

OT: Earthquake
We get loads of very small earthquakes in the UK, but fairly few as high as 3.3 on the Richter scale. I was on the top floor of our house when we had a quake around that size, and it was a distinctly...
13
13

Fluorescent light starts OK but goes dim and flickering after an hour or so - ballast?
I tried looking this up on line but not much joy. I thought that once the tube had "struck" and was fully lit then there was no further need for a starter - and if the ballast was faulty then the...
20
20

Thames Water
'Water privatisation in England and Wales has achieved just one thing: the enrichment of executives and overseas shareholders' todays Guardian I predicted this years ago when privatisation was first...
90
90

Fibre Broadband
Giganet are laying fibre throughout the village. It's got to the stage where they are putting the cable in the ducting, and I have one of their termination manholes right outside the house. They...
15
15

Portable Air Cooling
I think I understand that proper air conditioning needs an external and internal unit so that heat/moisture can be dumped outside. Is there any from of portable unit that works on a standalone basis?...
24
24

H07RN or SY extension cable choice?
This is for a 10m 3-phase 5 pin extension cable. There seems a choice of H07RN or SY cable. I am aware that H07RN cable is certified to a couple of standards whereas the SY isn't. Nevertheless SY does...
2
2

Air-con installation quote
I’ve just asked for a quote for a 5kW split air/air heat pump for air conditioning and heating. The quote is for a Mitsubishi unit and is a smidge under £2500. Is this in the right ball-park or...
4
4

Water-based paints - They are crap
Just been painting the woodwork in my mancave and for quickness sake decided I would depart from my usual choice of solvent based paint. I have been using Dulux water-based quick-dry paints and they...
13
13

Thomas Sanderson blinds.
How do you remove a Thomas Sanderson electric roof blind, The blind is not fully returning to the open position and is in a slanted position when stopped, Thomas Sanderson are not interested as the...

Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?
If there was a fine mist being sprayed (like you get from something you spray plants with), and there was a live wire somewhere in the mist, could it jump through the spray to a grounded point?
93
93