Subject Author Posted Replies

AA in Durham NC, 1948 newspaper article, with photo
AA in Durham NC, 1948 newspaper article, with photo https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377179/view/aa-durham-1948002.JPG https://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30377179/view/aa-durham-1948002.JPG
3
3

Question on skirting fitting on undulating wall
Hello all, I've had a laminate floor put down in my study after stripping and repainting the walls (some plasterboard, some solid brick and plaster) and adding two surface sockets with cable trunking...
23
23

Biomass boiler
We're looking at buying a house. It's rural, detached, and ticks all the boxes but has a biomass boiler. This is in an outbuilding, I haven't yet seen it. Apparently the current owners get a yearly...
13
13

Official reference requests : boiler inspection, electricity in-property input
I know of a badly-maintained rented residence. I need to provide, so to speak, ammunition to fire at the Landlord. (1) I am sure that there is legal requirement for an unvented hot water system over...
10
10

Need a vent for a kickboard
I'm looking for a vent to go in a kickboard on some kitchen cabinets, the kind that I have, and which was also on the ones I'm replacing for someone else, takes up the entire height of the board and...
5
5

OT Reading M4 Westbound Travelodge question
As uk.d-i-y the place to find most answers in the world I'll ask here. I am booked in on the Westbound side Travelodge. However I am working to the West. So to get from work to the hotel it looks like...
3
3

Why did the Peeler cross the road?
Why did the Peeler cross the road? He couldn't get his dick out of the chicken

EV cars are thick!
Why are electric cars so stupid? Is this article correct? Can you seriously run flat the little 12V battery in your electric car and it's not clever enough to automatically charge it from the 400/800V...
39
39

You can dramatically increase your laptop battery life by using these two simple tricks...
I've been a Thinkpad fanatic for almost 20 years, but I never realised how silly I was by not disabling these two features. So: - Boot into your laptop BIOS/UEFI setup. - Disable "USB always on" (Your...
15
15

Anything's possible
Old phone, battery expanded to triple thickness, looked like an imminent explosion, using it as a quad core CPU only, so let's use a AAA battery. https://i.imgur.com/F7uPMRv.jpg...
69
69

Car number plates method of attachment.
Why are car number plates now often held with sticky tape rather than screws? It can be quite difficult to get the old sticky tape off if you wish to use a different number.
19
19

kumquat
My partner was given a potted kumquat, a standard about 200mm tall. It was kept indoors, but we clearly failed to steer the route between under and over watering, and it lost all its leaves over...
2
2

OT: Chinese Import Tax, why not?
Off topic, but ... The Chinese massively benefit by describing their space rocket building country as a 'developing nation', so we all subsidise their amazingly cheap postage rates to our countries in...
45
45

Main equipotential bonding sure does work
So on Sunday I was called out to a house in my village where the owner was having problems with his electricity - said he has getting static charges from stuff. A TN-S supply similar to this one in...
11
11

Small retaining wall using sleepers
I am considering building a small retaining wall using treated sleepers no more than 300mm high. I know that they need to be screwed together but do they require something like a concrete strip...
5
5