Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric heating
What could you do to make an electric space heater less than 38% efficient?
19
19

confusing info on the net ....
Jim GM4DHJ ... expressed precisely : I fancy a cat S would need to pass an inspection, before it was allowed on the road. S = suffered severe structural damage.
2
2

Good Samaritan
Last night, I was walking home just before midnight - from the pub, of course! Having two worn out knees and being a bit short of breath these days I stop every few yards or so to get my breath back....
82
82

Kitchen Ring Main
I am getting to the point where I need to consider the route of the kitchen ring main with a view to getting the new kitchen in ASAP so we are without a functioning kitchen for the minimum time. I...
4
4

WiFi Booster/ Extender
Martin Brown expressed precisely : An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main router and usualy free.
15
15

Other electrical apprentices and my next door neighbour
No 1. It's not just me that has them. 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut through the flex. Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their life"...
22
22

Lifts - not Rocket Science
Since my wife has been consigned to a wheelchair it means I notice lifts more. This weekend I encountered one (in a newish building of a company very committed to access) - the one floor lift has...
22
22

Copper slip
"Copper is used in some anti-seize formulations to prevent galling in high temperature applications where the organic portion of the grease will be cooked out. It serves NO function at ordinary...
1
1

Sky HDMI lead?
Scratching around for an HDMI lead for a FireTV Box - soon to be delivered, I found a lead marked by SKY moulded into the plugs at each end, one end red, the other end black. Are these just standard...
2
2

In the first full month of operation...
Workshop...450 posts Tech...........303 posts Workshop is declared the winner! Looks like Workshop's membership criteria are somewhat superior to Tech's...
2
2

Crimps or connector blocks?
I have just got a like-for-like replacement ACK42 (230V) window actuator for the conservatory to replace the faulty one. The old one is wired to the control unit by insulated (red) crimps. The wiring...
10
10

OT: Weird Cloud
I've been watching this strangely-behaved cloud on YT over and over trying to work out WTF it is. I admit I haven't a clue. Let's see if the diy community can work out what exactly this thing is (3.5...
6
6

Using hammer wedges
I?m fitting a new handle to a sledge hammer and when I asked for some wedges in the hardware store they gave me these. contains one hardwood wedge and two ridged metal tubes. What?s the right way of...
5
5

2nd kitchen circuit??
Hi All, Current load on kitchen ring 32A MCB) is Wishdosher, washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, I think that?s most of the regular appliances. I was wondering...
60
60

Re: OT RNFI sacks UK staff, buys burkini for Africans
Was this before or after donating money and or time. I've always thpught the RLNI was about saving lives around UK shores, not going to bondi beach to save surfers. Well obviously we'd send all the...
4
4