Subject Author Posted Replies

ELCB and Voltmeter
A I liable to cause a trip by using a volmeter between live and earth - to trace a circuit?
13
13

Speed guide
I have the drill from lidl and I'm looking for the speed guides for various types of metal. Does anyone know what these are.
2
2

Electric towel rail
My previous towel rails have been plumbed into the hot water system. I'm pretty sure the best of these was made from chromed brass tubing. Now I'm looking at electrically heated towel rails. I did...
17
17

Dishwasher halting part way through cycle - preliminary post
Our dishwasher has suddenly started stopping (if you see what I mean) part way through a cycle. We have been away for about a week, and it was working before we left. I've given it a first check over...
2
2

Which energy supplier to get isolator switch fitted FOC
Currently with British Gas because we just moved in. Googling suggests BG charge 43+VAT and isolator, and anyway their fuel rates are expensive so I need to switch. Googling also suggests nPower...
24
24

Smart meters to be compulsary?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7632657/Homeowners-refuse-install-smart-meter-face-huge-hike-energy-bills.html#newcomment...
67
67

Indoor Amplifier no longer working
I have a Vision V52-100 amplifier (14db - 26db UHF, 0db - 16db VHF + FM) in my loft and over the past few weeks I have had issues with my TV signal for certain channels. After further investigation I...
7
7

BT8500 phone set - time display
Where do these phones get there time from? I remember setting them once around three years ago, when I installed them, but not touched their time/date since. Late yesterday evening, I spotted the time...
21
21

Cherry Picker
Very interesting post. Bill
71
71

Old-fashioned bath taps
My house had these globe taps on the cast iron bath when we first moved in 21 years ago. I replaced all the lead plumbing in the house shortly after moving in and I remember having to buy some...
15
15

Drain blocked with caustic soda
I poured caustic soda down my shower hole and it has harderned any leads ? I?m panicking
26
26

IT question (slightly OT)
I do incremental backups of a couple of datasets with simple batch files using Robocopy /MIR. These normally work fine, except after the clock change when they back up everything on the grounds that...
8
8

Anyone remember Matty from NZ?
Off to NZ soon and have no fixed itinerary but I was reminded today about museums there. IIRC Marty worked at a museum there. Anyone know where? He always amazed me with his projects and his talents...
23
23

Brown Electricity and Gas meter boxes
Are they made of brown GRP, or white GRP painted brown ? And why are they twice the price of white ones ? TIA
18
18

DIY the Metro way
Picked up a copy of "Metro" in a hospital waiting room this morning, and was intrigued by this DIY article. Apparently a claw hammer can be used as a substitute for a cordless combi drill. Any fool...
5
5