Subject Author Posted Replies

Freezer problem
It's now academic, because a replacement has been delivered today, but I'm just curious what the cause might have been... On Friday, our old, upright basic freezer, fitted with an after market...
4
4

Back box with central oval knockout
Hi, You know those metal back boxes with oval knockouts, like you still need to grommet the top hole as it says it has been deburred?...
18
18

Hot water for larger new builds
We recently had a distinct lack of mains water round here for a few days. We were lucky in that our supply didn’t stop, it just reduced to a (normal pressure) dribble (mains fed toilet cisterns and...
4
4

Move to VOIP an CGNAT
Folks, Just a quick question. I know many of the new Fibre suppliers use CGNAT on their services. I also know this can cause issues with VOIP and SIP in particular, as, for example A&A have a VPN...
47
47

Convert double glazed conservatory roof to solid insulated
I have a small lean-to type conservatory with a double glazed roof. It gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I think I remember seeing somewhere online that solid insulated panels could be...
10
10

BT Landline failed on Sat evening; violent buzzing noise, but broadband still working
Landline failed on Sat evening; violent buzzing noise, but broadband still working. When BT's whole raison d'etre is communication why is it so difficult to get through to them to report a fault? Went...
1
1

What do you call this switch?
It’s a simple key operated switch for a power supply to some emergency lights in our Men’s shed. one’s buggered. Should wait to get the council back to fix it but if it’s cheap enough I might...
9
9

POTS
Somebody was kind enough recently to post a link to a website about use of POTS. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it so would appreciate it if somebody would put it up again. My street now has fibre,...
44
44

Quick question on wiring regs
Situation: I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I can get it a little further back (yes, I should...
4
4

new phone line
Just been at daughter's house, to which she's just moved in. OpenReach installed the phone from a socket on the router rather than straight off the incoming copper pair.
15
15

Slot drain requirements
Hi all, Finally getting around to doing our patio. The builder laid a concrete slab around 100mm below finished floor level and installed the drains ready for the tiling when we were ready. We have a...

Lighting circuit taken off 13A cabling
Some time ago I had a problem with one of the lighting circuits tripping an MCB and then the RCD. This was traced to the garage, and to save further time and money the lighting cable to the garage was...
13
13

RCD protected socket outlets in offices
Hi All, I work for an NHS trust. One of our buildings has just had a major refurbishment including a complete rewire…. We now have floor boxes feeding network snd power to most desks and the power...
21
21

Quality proof reading
"Quailty kitchens just got cheaper" Shop B&Q for your dream kitchen. Transform the heart of your home with a new kitchen from B&Q, with great quality products and expert designers. Shop B&Q for your...
10
10

Needed: Car experts to fend off grid disaster
Needed: Car experts to fend off grid disaster By David Ferris, 06/12/2023, E & E News One way to understand the kind of problems that can arise between an electric car and the electric grid is to...
4
4