54mm OD (soil/drain) solvent-weld pipe - will push-fitswork

The plumber who did our bathroom plumbed all the drains (basin, bath, bidet, shower) on the outside of the house using solvent-eld fittings and 54mm OD (as I measured it) pipe. This runs into the stack where this is a strap on boss which is also solvent welded in place. He left no access points. There is now a blockage and I need to take this lot apart and i'd like to leave it so it can be dismantled again easily.

Can I expect 'push-fit' connectors to mate OK with standard 54mm solvent-weld pipe or will there be trouble?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

RobertL ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 13:37:

Hi

Push fit is not compatible (different dia) - but compression is, being universal. The stuff with the big rubber washer and plastic nut - that'll work.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's as Tim says, but it's best to make sure that it's not the traps that aren't blocked before you cut into the pipes outside. or you could try drain acid if you can get to an open pipe ie remove a trap, but be carefull it's deadly stuff. good luck

Reply to
A Plumber

Plunger, then treat with "One Shot". If that fails, cut into the waste and re-join with universal compression coupling.

Reply to
mikey

Assuming that you can build up some pressure. There are four things connected to this one waste outlet, if the blockage is post a junction between any two of them all you do with the plunger is shove the water in the trap(s) up and down... That little bit of pressure/movement is unlikely to unblock anything.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you've got a wet and dry vac try that: it's easier to seal overflows and other connections to the system (rags placed over holes get sucked tight onto them instead of blowing off etc) and having the vac continually sucking instead of a momentary pulse of pressure from a plunger can get stuff dislodged where it's stuck in a viscous goo in the pipes.

You also avoid the risk of blowing apart push-fit or poorly-tightened compression fittings.

Bad on your installer not fitting an access point. Trouble with solvent weld is it's often hard to cut away a s-welded joint and leave any usable pipe, e.g. where a fitting is on a bit of pipe mortared into a wall. You may be better off improvising an access cap connection into an existing s-w elbow if you really need an access point. If you cut a hole in the existing fitting and cut up a suitable fitting that takes an access cap and get the mating surfaces flush with each other then solvent-weld them together you should end up with something as good as if it was made that way.

Reply to
YAPH

thank you all for your help.

I have taken the traps apart and found nothing much. I'll try plunging and then some chemical approach. if all that fails I think I'll cut the four down pipes so I can rejoin with compression fittings.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I'm lucky that the downgoing bit outside is about a foot long so I can cut it leaving enough for a fitting.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

There is one other option before sawing it apart that I've found works more often than not, and that's drilling a 4mm access hole and rodding with iron wire. Its very quick & easy, ditto repairing the hole afterwards.

Tabby