Subject Author Posted Replies

paper or mesh plasterboard jointing tape?
I?m about to lower and plasterboard a ceiling. The existing ceiling and ornate coving is too far gone for a (economic) repair and plaster skim. The lath and plaster flat part of the ceiling has been...
11
11

What wind speed to lose roof tile?
Of course the wind can gust in different ways and there are many types of roof tiles and house heights differ .... but, as a rule of thumb, what average wind speed would make it more than likely a...
27
27

Adjusting hinged doors
Hi All I have a standard wooden internal hinged door. I have recently put a new floor down and when closing the door, the leading edge (i.e. handle edge not the hinge edge) rubs on the floor. Rather...
35
35

"Antique" fence boards
We have a fence in the garden of our listed building home, with standard posts, but boards like I've never seen before. They are 6 feet wide, with straight vertical edges, but variable in height from...
9
9

The late Terry Casey
1. A copy of the email from Terry's Partner to Adam Wadsworth Dear Adam, At last, we have been able to make some progress with arrangements for Terry. The Home Office cannot release him until next...

Wi-Fi adaptor.
Have a Humax 'smart' PVR which is cabled internet only - no Wi-Fi. Would like to use it where there is no RJ45 outlet. Is it possible to buy a Wi-Fi adaptor to RJ45 rather than USB? There is a USB...
18
18

Loft ladder - limited height in loft and small hatch
I've been asked to fit a loft ladder for someone who has a hatch 65cm square and limited height in the loft of 65cm to store the ladder. Looks like we need a concertina one or a telescopic one. Anyone...
12
12

Pireflex H07 RN-F 3G4 cable spec?
I've had an off-cut of flexible rubber 3-core 4mm2 cable lying around for ages but can't find the spec, can anyone be a better friend than Google? It's marked "Pireflex USE>HAR
3
3

2 Hour time delay switch
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for...
42
42

raised letters
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:41:04 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote: FFS Jimmy. Twatter is that way >>> Or at least have the decency to mark your *completely* OT threads as such. Cheers, T i m
17
17

Earthing through plastic pipe
There was an ancient (1950s) steel pipe bringing mains water into my house under the front room and then up in the cup'd under the stairs. There there was a stop cock and it went into copper pipe and...
67
67

Securing a gate . . .
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between the houses passageway (my Audi's next,...
20
20

Some kitchen questions.
My kitchen is in need of a bit of a refresh. Not a total re-fit, though. I built it all myself when money was tight. And ready made units cost more (pro rata) than today. All the floor units are...
25
25

Fortic tank leak
One thing leads to another. The management company of our blocks of flats sent around some documents which included the warning that stagnant water in pipes above a certain temperature may harbour...
26
26

Smartphone holder for car suggestions
Yet another smartphone holder has broken. I really liked it, sucker on the windscreen but a long arm and dashboard support but it's gone the way of others. Mainly used for SatNav. Direct on the screen...
13
13