Subject Author Posted Replies

LED Downlighters (Hello again, after many years)
Memory lane ... I first posted here before uk.d-i-y existed, when it was just a topic in uk.misc And then posted regularly on the newsgroup for several years as I was doing up my medieval farmhouse in...
24
24

QUORA: Why is Africa so far behind the rest of the world?
QUORA: Why is Africa so far behind the rest of the world? by John McKenzie, Answered Dec 12 As Thomas Sowell has pointed out, Africa is a large continent, yet has less coastline than Europe. Africa...
1
1

TV optical headphones
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall. Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a Luddite. I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed earphones....
37
37

Cavity Wall advice
My house was built in 1988. The cavity walls are filled with slabs of rockwool stuff - possibly not as well as I would have liked. Occassionally I get salesmen trying to sell me the sort of injected...
22
22

OT: Hawk!!
I was so tempted to keep this as a pet. But I don't have anywhere to keep it seperate from my other birds. A hawk got into my cat enclosure and couldn't work out how to exit. I took several photos...
7
7

Re: smoke detectors
How about cooked butane? Tim
4
4

Replacing laminate flooring
My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors. Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and...
7
7

I don't understand HTML any more
Could anyone who is so inclined go to the web page explain to me why none of the text displayed on the page (if it displays on your browser) appears in the HTML source? Even if you highlight some of...
18
18

Which newsrerader?
Because i'm ####ing sick of the way Thunderbird puts the reply (to author rather than followup) button back every time it does an update!
23
23

OT: Engine remaps
I've always tried to buy cars with enough poke, but we bought a Volvo 1.6 diesel because it was a pretty colour and free road tax. I've not enjoyed it at all, i'd say it was so flat on the bottom end...
40
40

diy-kitchens.com - chuffed
I'm often disappointed, sometimes pleased, rarely chuffed. But we ordered some kitchen from the above (in part due to reading good things in this group) and i'm well chuffed. They aren't dirt cheap...
7
7

Taking a couple of mm off a door, belt sander?
I have a few doors in my life that are sticking, I have NO skills with a plane, it isn't really enough to warrant getting a circular saw and I cant really be arsed removing the doors anyway.... So...
11
11

TOT: my afternoon with Radio Four
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 19:52:55 +0000, williamwright wrote: So, what did you do to fix the gate? Cheers, T i m
58
58

Glazing panel doors
I'm proposing to replace a couple of small plywood doors (serving hatch) with framed glazed doors. I intend to make the frame from softwood and glaze the door with 3mm perspex. I'll cut a groove in...
5
5

Fastening wooden fence posts on top of brick wall that is capped with stone slabs
I want to fasten a couple of wooden fence posts, about 1.5 m high, with a fence panel fastened between the posts, on top of a brick wall that is capped with stone slabs. The brick wall appears to be...
4
4