Subject Author Posted Replies

Hinge drill bit with 1/16 or 1.5mm drill?
The smallest hinge drill bit (AKA self-centring bit) I can find is 5/64", can anyone point me towards one that's 1/16" or 1.5mm?
3
3

Heat pump with no (electrical) running cost?
If the inside of the house is already slightly warmer than the outside (or could be made so by a brief use of an electric fire to get things moving) could a Stirling Engine be used to operate a heat...
36
36

Experimenting.
Trying dishwasher tablets in the washing machine, Bosch offer dire warnings that their washing machines will fail, but I am not using theirs. One never knows if commercial interests influence these...
21
21

Dishwasher Brain surgery
I’ve just done a brain transplant (new control board) on our dishwasher. Of course I couldn’t resist opening the old one and it looks like two large capacitors are bulging. that’s the only thing...
37
37

OT: materials that might be found of a 1920s strand line.
On a tidal river, so little wave perterbation and no higher abnormally high tide line since. An untouched piece of sloping bankside covered by a thick layer of decayed oak tree leaf litter at least 50...
9
9

Inside temperature fell during a power cut - but central heating wasn't on
Yesterday we had a power cut for a little over 2 hours from about 11:00 to 13:10. The inside temperature fell during the time of the power cut and rose again as soon as the power came back. The...
15
15

Emergency light for workshop ... ?
Having just had a (brief) power cut whilst using the saw table I've been reminded of the need for an emergency light that comes-on when the power goes off. I've been meaning to make one for years but...
16
16

LED replacement tubes for fly zapper
These are currently 13" T8 UV tubes that don't last very lone. I've searched but can't find any LED replacement tubes. I would be happy with white, or indeed an y colour! Anyone have an idea where I...
19
19

Getting into BIOS settings
During my recent upgrade to an SSD drive whilst I was having problems I altered BIOS to boot from USB and may have inadvertently left it in that setting as I get a message on switch on saying Boot...
10
10

TV programme with Ian MacNaught Davies - teams identify old technology
Does this ring any bells... A TV quiz programme, probably from the 1980s or 1990s, in which teams of TV personalities often with a scientific or engineering background (eg Tomorrow's World presenters)...
8
8

Lights Saga - Final Final
Tis done! Thank you again to everybody for both the practical and moral support :-) I went for a 20 AMP choc-box as I had 3 wires on the ring to contend with. Used one side for the lighting ring...
1
1

Unrepairable freezer?
Our 4 year old Hotpoint upright freezer has a faulty thermostat which the Hotpoint engineer deems unrepairable due to the cables being buried in the insulation foam! I seem to remember reading of an...
36
36

OT Bring things back from France
Hi All, I am thinking of heading over to France to buy some items from Leroy Merlin (DIY store) and bring them back. Looking online, the new rules and regulations I find a bit confusing. Has anyone...
9
9

The day it rained forever.
The Beeb can insist that this year is the 'hottest evah on record', but fuck that for a game of soldiers. Currently 14°C, and steady grey overcast with persistent rain. I am reminded of family...
78
78

Philanthropy during a national power failure: a snag
Suppose the whole of the UK's electricity generation and distribution went tits up, and took ages to fix. Those who had their own sources of electricity (genny, solar panels, whatever) might feel that...
20
20