Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: A postal query.
If you post say a large letter with at least the correct value stamps on it (standard 1st and 2nd, no actual value on them) for the second class cost, is that OK. Or does a machine read a stamp as 1st...
30
30

Lesson learned
I installed some temporary pipe work so SWAMBO could continue to use the washing machine while the kitchen was out of commission using plastic pipe and push fit fittings. After a few months of use...
1
1

How to lift dried brass polish out of crevices
What will loosen decades-old dried brass polish in fine crevices (on a decorative Persian tray)? I've heard suggestions from lemon juice and vinegar to WD-40. Thanks, Daniele
58
58

Oxford vs Imperial Models
This article, if you delve into it, gives an insight into the difference between the Oxford model approach and the Imperial Model. is some ?history?, explaining how the team split, possibly some...
26
26

Got the cat!
Ah, wait until he deposits a fur ball just where you put your foot getting out of bed in the morning. Brings in mortally wounded mice/voles and lets them go for you to find cowering behind/under...
185
185

Swept bend
I have a device (which provides low pressure air flow) that has a male 1" BSP thread on the end ..... this goes into a clearance hole and fastened by a 1" BSP nut. I want to move this out so that it...
6
6

International finance question vis a vis corona virus
Almost every country is borrowing money to fund the virus costs. Where is it coming from?
18
18

What sort of pump?
We have a borehole in our garden that happily belches water 365 days of the year (or at least it has for the 18 months we've lived here) fast enough to fill a bucket and feed a tap in the workshop...
41
41

How to build a hospital
The "instruction manual" for the ExCel Nightingale Hospital has been published PDF Owain https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/download?ac=3180222 https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/download?ac=3180222
24
24

Are the TV companies letting us down?
I think so. I cannot be alone in wanting cheering up, but there is nothing cheerful on TV at all. surely they could show some good old films, not just the dreary programmes they are showing. I agree...
32
32

OT Car batteries going flat.
On 2 Apr 2020 23:57:35 GMT, Marland > wrote: Do you actually have to drive anywhere? Can't you just start it and let it tick over, possibly with you sitting in the driving seat reading a book,...
202
202

How Isaac Newton Turned Isolation From the Great Pla gue Into a “Year of Wonders”
How Isaac Newton Turned Isolation From the Great Plague Into a ?Year of Wonders? In 1665, ?social distancing? orders emptied campuses throughout England, as the bubonic plague raged, killing 100,000...

Mystery cables
A few years ago I had some fairly extensive wiring work done on my bungalow which included the installation of an ethernet network with wall sockets throughout. The cables were all routed into a small...
34
34

OT: To help or not to help, that is the question.
My next door neighbour, more elderly than me and I'm a pensioner, has a problem with his computer and knows nothing about them other than it is not working. So he's asked me to help. Now that means...
21
21

Re: OT: Just when you thought it could not get any worse
And what can anyone do about such things? Probably nothing. Its like the tsunami which will be generated when La Plalma cracks in half. Having visited that island in the 80s, it is a very strange...