Subject Author Posted Replies

"Ring" Doorbells
I was idly looking at these on Amazon when I saw the rather astonishing statement that the battery powered versions cannot be heard inside your home, only outside. How will I know if somebody is at...
20
20

Size of soakaway
Scenario: Double garage built 20yrs ago at the bottom of a garden, with proper planning permission. But instead of digging a soakaway as on the plans, just sent the rainwater from the roof into a...
23
23

Punching out tabs in thin metal
I plan to create a dozen prototype items that use a platform made from 1.5mm thick mild steel sheet. The bit I need advice on is how to punch out the tabs as shown in this link. that at, this stage,...
26
26

Painting silicone-treated surfaces
Many silicone-treated surfaces do not accept paint, at least not water-based paint (not sure about oil-based paint). Is there anything I can treat a silicone surface to make it wettable by a...
5
5

OT Contacting some serivce companies
I recently attempted to send a parcel via DPD to Durham. I booked and paid for it on-line, and had an e-mail of confirmation along with DPD parcel labels. Briefly the attempt failed and DPD never...
22
22

I am not a robot
I am getting an awful lot of instances where Google and Startpage don't want to answer my questions until I demonstrate that I am not a robot. Duckduckgo seems unaffected by this. (So just use...
28
28

Doorbell acting weird
Just moved into a house that had a 'chime' doorbell, with power fed from its own MCB in the CU and through a transformer with 8V output, thereby presenting 8V to the chime to make it work. I never...
31
31

Filling outside render
Hi all, We have a rendered outside wall that has been left bare for years. Now decided to paint it. Having put the first coat on you can see a number of gouges/ little bits missing etc. What would you...
12
12

DVD player unresponsive
A neighbor even more ancient than myself has asked me to look at his DVD player which despite the replacement of the plug fuse remains unswitchonable. It's a Toshiba Model # SD2010KB. Is it likely...
13
13

Flexible LED (or similar)
I have a wood T&G ceiling (3.3m x 3.3m) on outdoor structure. With a void in the middle of 1.5 x 2.0m Currently no lights, I had liked the idea someone suggested of a ‘starry sky’ effect using...
4
4

Outlook 365 problem
Outlook has corrupted all my emails: Inbox, Sent Items etc. They are all now showing in the wrong font and spacing. This occurred when I changed one email to Plain Text (as I was having problems) then...
26
26

update on unrepairable freezer
As in my previous post the thermostat inside our 4 year old Hotpoint freezer has failed and isn't replaceable due to being buried in the foam lining of the casing. Ive bought this Inkbird temp...
12
12

Car insurance - a warning re quotes
Business news on the radio this morning. A representative from the vehicle insurance industry was speaking of their rising costs, noting that last year they paid out 110% of the money they took in in...
45
45

Oiling Stripped Pine
I've just had some large kitchen cupboard doors stripped and sanded, ready to oil with some Briwax hard wax oil I have 've just got the doors back and they feel a little damp, and have the smell of...
2
2

Sadolin Superdec Black Gloss
Any experience of how glossy this is compared with conventional exterior gloss paints such as Weathershield or Stormshield? I've a small job where it would be convenient to use the same paint for...
6
6