50W equivalent LED GU10s?

I bought some 20-25W (1.8W) LED GU10s the other day from ebay

and I have to say I'm pleased with them.

I bought the "day white" variety and the colour balance is fine for our en-suite bathroom. Unfortunately they're not really going to be bright enough to replace the 50W GU10s in another room in our house (living/dining/kitchen) but the prices jump markedly when looking at higher wattage lamps. I think I'd also probably go for the "warm white" for that room which is another reason for going for a higher wattage lamp

Does anyone have any reccomendations for LED GU10 lamps with good colour balance (i.e. like tungsten), power and price combination?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The max power you can give off from a GU10 or MR16 sized lamp and keep an LED junction from melting is around 3W, possibly

5W with imaginative heat sinking. You aren't going to get close to the output of a 50W lamp. GU10/MR16 simply aren't viable form factors for high output LED lamps.

Also, if you want to drop colour temperature from 5000K+ down to 2700K, you currently cut the LED efficiency in half. (Actually, it's hard to find anything below 3000K for this reason.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just purchased some of these for the office kitchen. (Got fed up with having my head singed (low ceiling) when making tea).

perform as advertised. Less than 50W equivalent but 35W completely plausible. Pleasant white as well. I would buy again.

Reply to
Vortex7

I use ones like these

or

They don't have as good a colour balance as halogen lamps and are expensive but last a lot longer and use less electrickery. In my kitchen I have a mix of halogen and LED bulbs.

Reply to
Mark

I bought a warm white & cool white SES 4W version of these

to see if LEDs had got to a usable state yet. Trying the cool white version in a room with some 40w SES tungsten spots, the 4w LED was subjectively much brighter. Admittedly a halogen spot would be a bit brighter than the ordinary tungsten, and the blue colour and hard shadows, due to the near point source, may have made it appear brighter than it actually was, but its was certainly in the same ballpark, and much more usable than any LED lights that I've tried before.

Unfortunately, they still don't have very good colour rendering. The warm white gives things a magenta cast, which isn't surprising when you look at the Cree spec. It's got a huge blue spike in the spectrum.

If they weren't eye-wateringly expensive they're good enough for me to use elsewhere.

Reply to
Bill Taylor