50mm Deep Chasing

IMO putting it 50 mm deep is a problem. If you are putting something substantial up you will use screws that are longer than 50 mm so it offers little protection. It does make it harder to locate using a detector. I expect its another of those "we haven't really thought this through but it sounds like we are doing our job" things the IEE comes up with periodically. I suppose they will try and ban screws longer than 50 mm to fix the problem.

Reply to
dennis

Y es - it's a strange distance. Far more than needed to protect from a picture hook nail.

Although most things you buy which are designed for screwing to a wall come with screws which are far too short to make a really secure fixing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some of the walls in my house are dry lined. they have a gap behind the plaster board that can be 50 mm. That means the cables are 50 mm from the surface and meet the requirements if they are dropped down and tacked to the wall. However it offers zero protection as I have to use long screws (120 mm usually) to get into the wall to fix almost anything.

Reply to
dennis

So the 17th edition is a hit with you as well then?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

requirements

It works perfectly in theory. Practically, it is not worth the hassle trying to change from the old ways. The materials may have changed in design and construction slightly, but they fit together in the same way as they have always done. If you know how to make safe, all the installations you do, then nothing has changed, really.

I'd like a show of hands from all the Sparks in the group. How many of you have actually changed your ways in-line with the new scheme? How many of you have actually read through the new edition? How many of you have actually got new tools to keep up the new parts of the scheme?

The only thing I have read in the new edition, is the points made to the supply companies to conform to the minimum / maximum supply capacity of their equipment. Some minor changes to the installation of domestic appliances. The change of coding for the colour schemes in new cabling systems. And, finally, the change of costing to the jobs because of the higher bills and wages we have to pay.

We paid a few bob to get our guys "Self Appraising Certification" to allow them to sign the install sheet at hand over. A cost which didn't need to be done with the old ways of independent testing by the suppliers crew. It is just another cost cutting hassle, where the open market on suppliers has created a gap, only now filled by someone who can write down numbers from a meter, instead of actually having crew that knew the job.

To many companies want to supply, but none of them want the hassle that goes with keeping to the one standard, like it used to be. "The Grid" was actually "The Grid." Now it is parts and farts from different generation companies, all trying the get bigger profits from the smallest fuel cost. European Union? Eat my shorts. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop