50 years before leccy meter replacement!?

is that really right? After noticing our meter still rotating (very slowly) with the CU turned off we rang the electric company about getting it tested. They said they test the meters every 15-20 years and the last time ours was tested was 1985 (so due very soon), then ringing up norweb (as the supplier couldnt get through themselves) they said it was due to be replaced in

2025!? They could come and test it now but if it was found to be OK then we would be charged £46 or so. After speaking to the supplier again, they said you could get a new meter fitted for £34 so what on earth is that all about???

While on to the supplier, we enquired about changing the consumer unit with no isolator fitted - they advised removing the main fuse before the meter, then contacting them when finished and they would come and seal it up. They did say that a certificate of compliance or something from the electrician that did the job would be needed - how does a diy'er get around this?

cheers

Dave.

Just pull out their fuse, don't tell em, in 2025 when they come to change your meter they will discover it.

When my meter broke I refused to pay the estimated bill, but then it broke in such a way that I got elecie, and it did not record.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Personally, I wouldn't have expected a charge considering that the equipment belongs to them.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

MUst just be your leccy company. Our meter strted making a grinding noise, so much so that when it was running at very low speeds at night when pretty much nothing is running - it made so much noise you could hear it upstairs in teh bedrrom quite clearly.

I rang Virgin Energy - our leccy supplier, told them about it - and

8am the next morning - a nice chap from Siemens turns up and replaces it.

Next one did the same thing. As did the next one.

4th meter is finally quiet enough to have the TV on really low and still be able to hear it - so it must just be the shitty ABB leccy meters that they seem to use these days!

No charge *at all* for any of the changes.

Chers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Indeed - me neither - just pointing out the differences between leccy companies.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon