50+ year-old gas cooker with stiff gas taps

Didnt know they'd have a reg built in.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think he means an appliance governor. The old town gas appliances had them. They were not required for natural gas as one was installed on the meter, which under town gas there was none. The old appliance governors were removed or a blanking plate installed in them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Apart from pancake mix.

PM

Nah, they simply left the old taps in place so you had to carefully manipulate these through about a quarter of their full travel to control burner flames under the higher pressure NG.

Reply to
YAPH

Not if your separate feed from the meter still goes through the same regulator which is on the supply side of the meter. You'd need separate meters, each with its own regulator, to avoid that.

Reply to
YAPH

The new burner tubes, burners and adjustment catered for that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The separate pipe gives a small buffer of gas inside the supply pipe from the meter. If all on one pipe and the gas fire and cooker are on, and the boiler kicks in there is no buffer. That is enough to stop a glitch in a modern pre-mix burner.

I have seen it when a boiler was switched in and the cooker burner nearly went out. Yet the calcs were all correct when running off one pipe.

It is a case of divide and rule. "Always" have a dedicated boiler gas supply pipe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not on any of the converted appliances I had the pleasure of using, and it's hard to see how they could since it's the bore of the taps themselves that determines how much of the gas gets through.

Reply to
YAPH

At the full rate the limiting factor will definitely be the injector rathe than the tap. The difficulty comes trying to set a simmer rate.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I too have NCS-ed but otherwise passed an elderly cast-iron cooker for a friend. And all 3 of us are probably about the same age!

Reply to
YAPH

The injectors determined that. Where the taps were hopeless many of them were changed on conversion.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel