5 foot 8 and a half missus, 6 ft me what height kitchen worktop????

My wife is 5'1" so we compromised by having a *promontory* section, with stone insert for pastry, lowered by 4".

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IKEA sell legs of different height (3?) which are adjustable. I used two heights in our kitchen: 170mm for all units except the separate oven/cupboard housing which needed 125mm to allow me to squeeze it in.

Do you need a full height plinth? I used IKEA's shallow aluminium plinth that fixes to the top of the square section aluminium legs and leaves a gap below it to the floor. Creates an 'open' less closed-in feeling to the kitchen. YMMV.

It's bollocks. Think about it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

eh? a gap?

Is that a plinth or not?

If not then why bother?

Reply to
Mike

I almost expected you to say that the heel height should be chosen so that the missus (or other suitable partner) can comfortably bend forwards over the worktop and ...

Sorry. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

My version was more subtle :-)

Reply to
RobertL

Wouldn't that be a little too low for most people?

Reply to
Bruce

Too low for me - 36" inside leg, so most surfaces (at least on the corners) are made of bollockhite.

Reply to
PeterC

When I could last bend my knees properly, some eight years ago, I raised my kitchen units about 4" by placing lengths of two-by-three on the floor and placing the units on them. I also raised the bathroom basin by a good 9" by boxing in the pipework with 7" joists with 2" floorboard over the top.

Whenever I use somebody else's kitchen or, even worse, somebody else's basin, through the crippling pain I am amazed people have put up with facilities so low for so long.

Installation instructions even show a picture of somebody somehow holding their body in the shape of an upside-down L over the basin.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

on uk.food+drink.misc I suggested an ideal kitchen might have a powered height-adjustable metal work surface with inbuilt drainage channels and wash-down tap/hose over.

Not many kitchen shops stock them but they're obtainable from any good pathology lab supplier :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Our tops are 930, my elbows about 1050. If I stand up straight my hands with straight arms reach about 1/3 of the way across the top; any further and I have to bend. Do it for long, and my back starts to ache.

I must admit I don't do much rolling or kneading; it's definitely too low for chopping.

Curiously although SWMBO is a head shorter than me her elbow height is within 2cm of mine.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The 'plinth' is a 40mm deep strip of aluminium. It leaves the undersides of the units 'open' but hides the (variable) gaps between the tops of the legs and the undersides of the cabinets that are created when the units are levelled.

"Numerar plinth rail aluminium" 2200mm x 40mm, 800-721-54, £15 each