5 Amp Fuses

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone explain why 5 amp cartridge fuses used in Consumer Units are so expensive compared to 5 Amp fuses used in plugs. Apart from the size I cannot see what difference there can be in them . The two I bought today locally ( Glasgow ) were 55p (each) but I have seen them much more expensive than that . Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:09:40 +0000, Stuart

1) For the same reason that a dog licks its private parts
2) Volume
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Never had to buy one in 22years of owning such a CU .... but within a week of changing it to a MCB type, one of the 6A lighting mcbs tripped when a halogen mains bulb blew. I just wonder what fault current the fuses actually would need to blow...

Fuses have a curve like MCBs without the instantaneous trip for short circuits. They will certainly trip on the fault current caused by a short circuited ionised blowing bulb. However, they need it to flow for more than a few milliseconds, unlike an MCB.
Christian.

Funnily enough that wahy I had to buy one -when one of the halogen bulbs in the kitchen blew and the cartridge fuse went Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Very interesting! I too had to replace the lighting fuse in the CU when a halogen bulb blew.
Steve

BS1361
BS1362
BS1631 fuse has a much higher breaking capacity, as it's next upline fuse is likely to be much high higher capacity than is the case for a BS1362 fuse.
If you stick a BS1362 plugtop fuse in a consumer unit and then short out the lighting circuit, the BS1362 fuse might not be able to break the resulting high current flow, in which case the 100A main fuse will be left to do so, which will wreck the lighting wiring and might cause a fire (much more than 100A will pass).
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 13 Jan 2004 16:51:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Thx Andrew for that explanation-better take out the plug fuse which is put in yesterday and use the proper one .:-) Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message

Or alternatively for maximum safety and lack of false fuse blowing you replace the 5A CU fuse with a 13A plugtop fuse as the previous owners of our house had done!!
snipped-for-privacy@shawsMYPANTS2000.fsnet.co.uk (Stuart) wrote:

Presumably one of the reasons is because there's not the same market for them (not many needed compared with plug size and not the same competition between manufacturers.
I'm assuming that size alone would also make a big difference to the cost.
Roger
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:20:03 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

Well maybe on account of numbers needed but the size difference isnt that much . Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

For *serious* fuse prices, check out those for a Fluke multimeter...
--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

Check out a fuse for 100A at tens of kV - that'll cost ya. So will the fuseholder. Theyre big buggers.
Regards, NT

In rural America, where trees fall down or line 'whips' and linemen are many miles away, they use a novel fusing system - a bank of three fuses in canisters. When the fuse blows the canister explodes away from the pole and pushes up the next fuse.

Any chance of an URL? As a fan of all things high-voltage... I Googled a bit but couldn't find them yet...
<snip> As a fan of all things high-voltage...
Have you seen this.....? http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/day.htm 500KV power arc 3 storeys high.....

geoff

It's here somewhere http://electrical-contractor.net /
I'll see if I can locate it
On 14 Jan 2004 14:43:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

They are indeed. I've a bunch of them here, picked up from Marconi's scrap pile. I eBayed a few to the Flash-Gordon wannabee market. -- Do whales have krillfiles ?