Subject Author Posted Replies

Allocation of rings to CU
Hi All, It's taking me quite some time to get around to the rewiring of my old house. I've had the building inspector around for the first fix visit, and he said he won't need to come back until it's...
15
15

Acoustic Heat Pumps
Any one considered an Acoustic Heat Pump? The two brands that I am aware off are and The products being developed are not yet available to buy. AIUI these pumps are more effective than the heat pumps...
17
17

DIY solar installs now eligible for Smart Export Guarantee payments
Up until now, solar and/or battery installations have needed to be done by an MCS registered installer to get access to export tariffs. This has now changed, at least for Octopus: "5.8 Where you are...
3
3

One stroke engine of the future
Apologies to BG - it's a video (but the description is quite clear) https://innengine.com Balance: https://youtu.be/TQlyS2rw-sk Today I’d like to introduce you to a very special engine. It claims to...
10
10

Squirrel on the nets, rat on the lawn ...
Had a text from SWMBO Wednesday, saying she had encountered a squirrel climbing the net curtain in the lounge. It vamoosed when she entered the room. The just now, having lunch, I caught a movement...
9
9

Are all deck mounting tap hole distances the same?
Ive got some dead kitchen taps in a utility room that need replacing. The sink is a yonks old POS stainless steel stamping with two cutouts. The old taps were individual, but I'd prefer to pop a mixer...
4
4

De-coking an oil Aga
Ive been running this for 20+ years and every 6 months as fuels have degraded, it needs the burner decoking. This is normally an hours struggle with chisels and sharp knives and the like. Until the...
1
1

kitchen scales oddity
We have a cheap electronics kitchen scale (Salter) that when you turn it on, it lights up the display and after about one second shows zero grams. About half a second later the display changes to 2 or...
10
10

Thunderbird settings to read Usenet News?
I've moved to a new Windows computer and installed Thunderbird version 115.1.1 on it and transferred the old profile folder. It works fine for email and is picking up Usenet News but I can't get the...
25
25

Earthing/grounding mat for bed: Anecdotal experience?
Has anybody here ever tried one of these earthing/grounding mats?
47
47

Mousepad cursor frequent pause/Win10 fixed :-)
For maybe a couple of years, since a Win10 update, my mousepad cursor on my laptop, has misbehaved. Draw rapid circles on the pad, the mouse arrow on screen would follow it, but every couple of...
2
2

Chim Chiminee Chim Chiminee...
Gradually working my way round my new (to me) bungalow when I noticed the chimney in the lounge was blocked off. I removed the piece of hardboard followed by a month's supply of rolled up newspapers,...
1
1

Water treatment for plasma cutter
Do we have any chemists her with experience of treating the water bath/bed of a plasma cutter? My grandson has started a business venture cutting out shapes from steel sheet. The machine he has chosen...
3
3

Time setting on Electrical Meter
Have a house electric meter (it''s not a smart meter) with the time on the clock being many hours wrong. We use the economy 7 cheap rate tariff for the nighttime use of the washing machine. Officially...
38
38

Chemically cleaning a corroded electrical connection
One of the relay bases in my car's fusebox has turned blue. This appears to be causing an intermittent electrical connection. I have some conductive zinc gloop[*] to put in it to improve the...
14
14