48 V Relays - source needed

I have a Heating System project that needs 2 relays, with double pole changeover contacts rated at around 2A (3A pref) ... The problem is that I need 48V operating coils.

Great majority of relays I have found are 12V or 24V coils (and of course

240V AC)

I have found some 48V relays (BT type 47) but these are only rated at 1A.

Anybody come across relays that would suit.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Suggestion Use 24VDC 3-legged regulator 7824 off the 48V and then you can run 24v DC relays with suitable contacts via 1n2001 diodes. Protect supply with an anti back-EMF diode 1n2001 or 1n4148 across each coil. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

In article , Rick Hughes writes

48v DC is a "telephone system" type voltage.

Two things spring to mind here:

(1) Use a 12v or 24v relay and drop the energising voltage.

(2) Use the 1A 48v relays but parallel-up the contacts to increase the current rating.

Reply to
Mr X

What sort of size and type of relay are you looking for? Is the 48 V for the coil AC or DC?

If it's of any use, RS do octal plug-in style relays (10 A DPCO contacts) with 48 V coils:

- 349-535 for 48 V DC

- 349-406 for 48 V AC

Reply to
Andy Wade

You might just as well use a power resistor, as the load is constant. Also, I don't think the 7824 is specced to take 48V in.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

What load is 3A in a CH system?

ac or dc?

I'd probably use a series resistor and a 24v ac relay, if its a 50v ac supply. Resistor will need to be same resistance and power rating as the relay coil.

I wouldn't parallel lesser rated relays, the contacts wont open or bounce simultaneously..

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Rick Hughes formulated on Wednesday :

Several ways around the problem (you didn't specify 48v AC or DC)...

  1. Put a suitable resistor in series with the coil of a 24v relay.
  2. Put 2x 24v relay coils in series.

  1. If AC use a 2:1 ratio transformer to drop the voltage down to 24v

  2. If dc use a 24v DC series regulator to drop the 48v to 24v. You may need to include a dropper resistor before the regulator.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Hi Rick.

Try this link

RS do a range of 48v reays in both AC and DC

Bob

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Rick Hughes said the following on 07/12/2005 17:21:

with DIN rail base:

d.c. coil

8A @ 240V contacts
Reply to
Rumble

A zenner diode works too and is smaller and cheaper then a three terminal regulator.

Regards, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Mills

Oops!, didn't check max i/p volts allowed to regulator. Sorry. Agreed, use dropper resistors at 25% more than correct wattage and anti backsplash diodes. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

Nonsense! The guy just needs to get a 48vdc or ac relay from RS or Farnel

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

..and you could use two 24V SPCO relays to give yo the DPCO....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

But probably not as cheap as a resistor.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

This is for a Heat Recovery control unit ... it has 48V DC fans and the relays are to handle the switching of these - fan speed is a 3 speed option .. depending on which pin you apply 48V to on the PSU. (via a 3 way switch) So I want to use this 48V DC control for the relay coils as well as switching 48V DC

Rick

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

There are DC fans in the system are 48V 90W ... now I know that give me under 2A, but to allow for any start surge the 3A would be nice to have.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

2 x 24V SPCO in series seems a neat solution ... thanks
Reply to
Rick Hughes

In article , Rick Hughes writes

As it's a motor start application Andy Wade's 8A ones from CPC sound best, most inductive ratings are heavily derated so that'll give you more headroom. Ones I have around show 8(2)A for resistive vs inductive so 3A would be a bit lightweight.

Reply to
fred

The CPC ones seem ideal, have access to 48V Telecom relays form Strowger switchgear .. but the current rating is too low.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes