Subject Author Posted Replies

Hemsby
Hemsby is a coastal village in N Norfolk, where the cliffs are made of sand/soft sandstone. It's being washed away by the sea at a rate of knots, much to the upset of the locals, especially those with...
14
14

SOT: British Gas query
I thought all utilities had a duty to communicate in clear language, but maybe I am missing something here? A friend has a new boiler with a five-year warranty. He has received a letter where page 4...
10
10

OT - How do you get a Double Decker to Paris (1960s)
I watched the opening of Summer Holiday the other day, leaving aside any other possible impossibilities Would it have been possible to get an LT double decker on a ferry back in the day? Would it be...
20
20

Stopping glue solvent evaporating
I have a tin of Evo-Stik Impact adhesive. The kind that comes in a tin with a lever off lid. Despite ensuring there's no excess glue on the lid and it's firmly sealed, the solvent seems to evaporate...
8
8

Dremel for cutting plastic
I need to make lots of small cuts in nylon and polyethylene sheet that is 2mm thick. The cuts are between 5mm and 22mm long and 2mm wide Would a Dremel be able to do this? Or should I be looking at a...
10
10

Terminating unused cables
I currently have an electric shower soon to be replaced with a Mira digital shower so the current 6mm power cable will not be required. The cable goes from the CU to a ceiling mounted pull cord switch...
4
4

Shower Tray fitting
Sometime soon I will be fitting a 1600 X 800 shower tray. The manufacturers instruction say it should go on 18mm marine ply and it has 8 small nylon screws that are used to level it. The instructions...
2
2

Public information service
Scamwatch people get why my GiffGaff goodybag can't call premium numbers. Three customers were charged more than £100 each for unknowingly using a call connection service. Three customers were...
3
3

SOT: wind back 50 years
A woollen pullover needs washed. Housewife fills the Belfast sink with hot hot water and adds Lux soap flakes. They take ages to dissolve. Cool the water a bit and wash the pullover. Take pullover out...
25
25

Adhesive for glass fibre bath
I have a perfectly normal glass fibre bath, and need to glue something (hard plastic) to the shiny surface. What should I use?
2
2

Fluorescent lamps
There's been quite a bit of discussion in the past month or so on replacing these with leds, and whether or not it was worth it in terms of light output and electricity saved. Well, I must have been...
5
5

Robomowers
Anyone got one? They all seem to be mulching mowers. What consequences does this have for your lawn over time? Worth worrying about? Do most of them bumble about (apparently randomly) like my...
8
8

Peak Save by British Gas
I notice BG are operating something called Peak Save again this month. It claims to offer 'Half Price electricity on sunday's between 11 am and 4 pm. Has anyone used this already?
4
4

Can we convert this old Acer Laptop to chromebook
Have found a very old Acer Laptop at the back of a cupboard. Aspire One Happy Is this spec on it enough to do so? it has windows 7 on it. and intel atom N455 1.6GHZ 512 KB cache memory 1GB storage...
23
23

Name the mystery object
Found in a shed. like a signalling lamp of some sort. White bulb with a reflector. Looks to be mains powered. Also comes with a blue bulb and a red bulb. Blue makes me think it might be associated...
5
5