Subject Author Posted Replies

Do I need planning permission to put an external staircase & railing to an existing flat roof
I have a flat roof ( old conservatory ) attached to two sides of my house, do I need planning permission to add an external staircase & some railings to make it an additional outside area ?
2
2

subscribe to radio man...

PIR sensor
Outside light with integral PIR sensor, sensor has failed. Part No is EJ-A003. Seems to only be available in large quantities from China. Does anyone know of somewhere I could buy just 1? I know I...
16
16

OT: Car Battery State Metering
Gentlemen, Modern cars don't tell you much about their general state of health. I think it was the 1600E that had all those gauges on top of the dash, was it not? So you could monitor oil pressure,...
15
15

HDD Linux
I have just put some hard drives back into service, I never throw them out but when my Linux unit failed I dragged out one I had in storage for about four years. It failed too along with about five...
19
19

OT: "Adblue"
Earlier I was watching a neighbour who apparently was pouring water from a 1 gallon transparent plastic can into his fuel tank. I thought, "That's a cheap way to run a car!" When he had finished, I...
74
74

Gutters.
Or perhaps more accurately, a down pipe. One of our gutters drains into a soakaway which is hidden beneath paving slabs. The pipe itself is held in concrete at the base (and thus rather immovable)....
7
7

Brains and steps
I've recently had a patio built by a builder. It has a set of steps down to the grass, and lots of people trip when coming up the steps. The problem seems to be that the top step's rise is smaller...
66
66

Blow torch gas refills
Hi, I have a Primus blowtorch which has the same bottle as shown in this item noticed that a number of people are selling empty bottles on eBay so was curious as to why. It seems that they are...
2
2

after changing kitchen mixer tap hot water just a trickle
hi, i have a gravity system in my house. non-pressurized boiler and i have no space to lift my cold water cystern or hot water tank, i also don't want to buy or run an electric water pump. due to a...
26
26

Home brewing (from kit that supplied malt, yeast and hops) - stuck fermentation
This is my first attempt at home brewing. I'm brewing cream stout from a kit (St Peters) which supplied the malt, yeast and hops. I made sure that the wort was below 25 deg C before I added the yeast...
17
17

Tips for Roofing Quote
I've had a couple of quotes to reroof my Victorian terraced house in Sheffield - around £10k, including 3 Veluxes, in a conservation area (so a certain slate needed, and maybe a couple of other...
11
11

High level toilet cistern.
Outside loo sadly had the original Thomas T cast iron cistern replaced with an ugly plastic one - I'd guess in the 50s. Pan is original Victorian, though. When I decorated, I boxed the cistern in. But...
19
19

OT: Home testing for cholesterol
Does such a device exist yet? The blood/sugar ones have been around for ages after all.
21
21