Subject Author Posted Replies

Freezer sprays?
Anyone know - is there any difference between medical freezer sprays and pipe freezer sprays?
46
46

Skip diving
I always have a look in any skips I'm passing, and I noticed that a neighbour has thrown out a Trend Combi 1001 worktop jig. It looks in perfect condition, but it's missing all the accessories that...
3
3

OT amps or hertz
Bill Wright WhatsApped me this and I thought it was worth sharing. Broadcast on the Andy Kershaw show on BBC Radio 1 on 1 December 1997 Broadcast on the Andy Kershaw show on BBC Radio 1 on 1 December...
15
15

DIY Smart Meter?
Prompted by the Smart Meter 2 thread, it occurred to me to wonder whether there was any way in which I could monitor my electricity consumption in half-hour intervals in order to evaluate whether one...
36
36

OT: BBC1 catch-up.
Used BBC 1 catchup yesterday to see a prog from the start. Using the green button. Worked as usual. On the same TV later that night, used catch up to watch the BBC1 news. About an hour after it had...

OT: Using ammonia as a fuel
I occasionally see references to using ammonia as a carbon-free fuel, rather than e.g. methane (which isn't) or hydrogen (with its hazards, real and imaginary). See . But I have a vague memory from...
27
27

Thank you Smart meter 2
I know many folk are suspicious of the potential for remote control of their power supplies and potential for malicious hacking but having one does enable some interesting power tariffs. I?m currently...
58
58

Fading barometer not DIY!
An old (70+ years) aneroid barometer in the hall is almost illegible now, as the printing has faded so much. Even if my also fading eyesight would allow, it's way beyond my ability to do anything...
16
16

RCBO v. mini-RCBO
I've just bought some miniature RCBOs to replace MCBs in my CU - the lighting circuits are on a 100mA RCD as is a spur to a socket in the loft(!). In a c. 1990 CU there isn't space for full-size RCBOs...
53
53

toggle switches
1. I only realised today that normal toggle switches that need a nominally half-inch hole have (at least) two incompatible threads and sizes of nut. 2. I have a panel that includes a toggle switch...
13
13

Running co-ax
Not a want as such just put my mind at ease. I spent today running co-ax cable from the loft to run the telly free view. This co-ax/freeview is emergency back up for if the Fire TV stick /internet...
78
78

Where should gas pipe and water pipe earth bonds connect to?
Most of the info I've found shows the gas and water pipes connected to the main earthing terminal (MET) via 10mm2 cables. My gas and water pipe earth bond cables are connected back to the...
11
11

what!
Browsing ToolStation this morning I was briefly confused by a listing: Milwaukee Self-Sharpening Chisel Beginning to find the world confusing? Must be getting old. TW
14
14

Thank you, Smartmeter!
... for showing me how much I pay in Standing Charges! I'm with Eon - have been for over a decade, and have been as least as happy with them as I can estimate that I would be with anyone else (judging...
168
168

Re: Spike
Rich, why did Burt check up on Paul, Rich, and, Rich, what happened to Burt, Rich, when Burt, Rich, checked up on Paul, Rich? Thanks, Rich. http://snipped-for-privacy@thisaintreal.org