Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Baltimore bridge replacment
There’s already talk of replacing the bridge (which was undoubtably an elegant structure), but surely at the mouth of a very busy shipping port a tunnel would make much more sense? Tim
131
131

Whoopeedo
OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now available to my premises! With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best...
27
27

40mm waste pipe into 110mm branch
I need to connect a 1.5m length of 40mm plastic pipe using a rubber boss connector into the 60mm opening on a 110mm branch, like this one: fine, but how do you neatly secure the pipe to the wall? I...
12
12

How to make/buy/obtain curved aluminium or PVC T-section?
This is also for my boat windows, for a different set of windows from the ones where I was having to remove steel grub screws from aluminium wedges. I can't really afford to replace the windows or...
5
5

OT Changing Mobile Phone provider
We are considering changing mobile phone provider. I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without...
6
6

Any idea what caused these?
I cut the lawns for the first time this year and found this series of 4 holes at the edge of the side lawn beside a retaining wall. My first thought was moles but I have not seen any sign of moles in...
18
18

OT Advice
Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the process. When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I...
52
52

Volume difference between TV channels
Having connected up my new TV (see earlier thread on controlling a Panasonic TV with a Humax controller), I find that the volume on the BBC News channel (231) is much lower than on the other BBC or...
5
5

Strange behaviour of cistern inlet valve
The toilet cistern has a Fluidmaster bottom inlet float valve I fitted about 13 years ago which has been fine until this week. Now when I flush the valve goes: fill-stop-fill-stop-fill..... with a...
5
5

OT: Security wheel bolts
Had new tyres put on the car today (2018 reg Peugeot 208), which I bought a couple of years ago. It's the first time I've needed to find the socket for the wheel security bolts, and yup -- nowhere to...
7
7

Maintenance free cable connector
Is there such a thing? I don't fancy crimping/soldering, and the Wago versions seem vague on whether this sort of thing can be used maintenance free:
9
9

Metal Stud Partition
In the process of moving a stud partition wall over a couple of foot to enlarge a bathroom, and found a metal stud partiton frame using sections like this: gets good reviews but seems flimsy to me,...
21
21

Seems the retro fad continues - sail power
I have always wondered why wind power isn't used in moving sea cargo around since I was a lad ...
210
210

Wellingtons
I have just noticed that my aged wellingtons have started to crack. They are Dunlop, probably dating from before the brand name was sold. Is my choice these days between something cheap and PVC, or...
43
43

Ideas wanted fo unseizing grub screws in aluminium
I have some (boat) windows that I'm refurbishing. They are secured to the boat superstructure with little aluminium wedges with grub screws through them. Absolutely ridiculaous steel (not even...
39
39