4 way light switch demo animation

this illuminating example for what is often confusing explained.

Reply to
Phil

But in the US they use different terminology. What we call a two-way switch, they call a three-way, because it has three terminals, an so on.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Unfortunately it talks about 3 way switches where we call them two way - which is correct. 'Way' refers to the path through the switch. The other name is single pole changeover.

And as for an intermediate being four way...;-)

But it certainly demonstrates how the circuit works. Ideal for our resident fool Dr Evil who needs as much help as he can get with understanding such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately, it also doesn't show the correct cable routings. If you implemented it as drawn, with T&E between switches and single straps to the supply and bulb, you will generate an inductive loop, which will interfere with hearing aids. This may have been acceptable in the past, but isn't any longer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

... not to mention that there's a whole spectrum of confusion as to what 'n way' means according to context.

E.g. a four-way switch could mean:-

A switch with four positions (probably a rotary switch) such that one input can be routed to one of four outputs.

Four separate two-position switches that operate a single appliance (probably a light or lights) such that the appliance can be turned on or off by toggling any one of the switches regardless of the positions of the other switches. (As in 'two-way' switching of a landing light from bottom and top of the stairs)

What I would call a four-gang switch, i.e. four separate two-position switches in a single face-plate. (To my mind this is an incorrect usage of 'four way' but I'm sure some people use it this way)

What I would call a four-pole switch, i.e. one that controls four independent circuits with a single operating lever/handle. (Again I would regard this usage as incorrect)

Reply to
usenet

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:28:42 -0000, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Oh yes, forgot about that! ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

Not really any confusion. Way means route.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. However for the purposes of showing how it works - ie a theoretical diagram - it's ok. Practical wiring almost always varies in layout from theoretical diagrams.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have only just found that out by looking at the animation. How are your

1.5mm ring mains getting? Have the fire brigade been around lately?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil