4" plastic soil pipe

Is the gray stuff push-fit or solvent weld?
Only, I've got to the "move the toilet" stage in the bathroom fitment, and "all" I have to do is undo a couple of joints, cut 27cm out of a straight run and put it back together.
Except ... I can't get the joints apart. So, are they stuck together with 30 years of cack, or welded?
Huge wrote:

Can be either :-)
The material is PVC, which is solvent weldable. But you also get pushfit connectoes for use with it.
If it's pushfit, there whoulc be a tell-tale 'bump' around the circumference which houses the O ring.
--
Grunff

That's what I suspected....

Which there is, which is why I thought it was pushfit.
Oh, well, I've got to go out tomorrow and collect the tiles, so I'll go into Gibbs & Dandy & buy new stuff.
On 19 Feb 2004 18:56:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Although it is doubtful that the pushfit has that much cack in it that it is solidly welded, try putting some effort into it! ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

You can sometimes see signs of the glue round joints - it goes sort of yellow with time. If it's oldish - I'd say it is probably glued. And you won't get it apart. ;-)
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

If they're not welded, you can sometimes free them by rotating the pipes. If you have sufficient access, you could try using the sort of strap wrench designed for undoing oil filters on cars.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Now that's not a bad idea. I've got one of those. Somewhere.
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) writes:

It's pushfit.
Hit it with a bigger hammer...

Before you raise your hopes, if you can examine a joint in the pipe, a welded one will have no clearance between boss and pipe - a plug in type will.

Thanks, but I've got it to pieces. Hitting it with a rubber hammer revealed that the joins slide in and out. The restricted space meant I still couldn't undo a joint, so I cut the straight run.
Other things to do now. (Oh, the joy of having 2 bathrooms and 3 loos.)
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:
Hello Huge

Lucky. I've got to rip the floor up in my sole bathroom today, but the wife's on crutches /and/ she's got a dodgy tummy atm, so I'm probably going to have to put down and raise the floor a couple of dozen times...
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) writes:

Yo.
Bummer. My sympathy.
snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:
Hello Huge

Undue worrying, went very smoothly.
Close lockshields. Lift boards. Cut pipes, bung on speedfit 15mm cap. Repeat for other pipe, lose about half a pint of water under the floorboards (ground level). Remove rad full of water. Tile and grout back wall.
Fit incredibly expensive but very pretty gold towel rail. (Why are they all so expensive? Why?) Refit pipes, this time the water's hotter and I lose a couple of pints because I went ouchy and flinched.
All done without turning off the heating or losing enough water to worry about. Boards only up for ten minutes at a time.
Eeh, looks nice. And I had time to watch the rugger. :)
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:28:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:

Because you are willing to pay :-)

SWMBO happy?
How many times did you have to lift and replace floor?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) writes:

Excellent. Well done!
"Simon Avery" wrote | Fit incredibly expensive but very pretty gold towel rail. (Why | are they all so expensive? Why?)
Because the manufacturers know that She chooses but He pays.
Owain

Perhaps your wife needs her "How F***ing Much???" detector adjusting?
"Huge" wrote | "Owain" writes: | >"Simon Avery" wrote | >| Fit incredibly expensive but very pretty gold towel rail. (Why | >| are they all so expensive? Why?) | >Because the manufacturers know that She chooses but He pays. | Perhaps your wife
That's one mistake I've never made.