3rd miracle device of the day...

"This system has a magnetic yeast inhibitor that keeps it in suspension so it ends up in the glass where the brewer intended it to be."

Infact, a quick google got me:

The idea that there is a *whole* magnetic gadgets website fills me with dread. I'm going to look at the domain root now; if you don't hear from me for a while I've died from screaming at the monitor....

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

You can buy the business if you like. The owner is looking to retire.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If the customers notice the beer tastes shit when the pipes are cleaned once a month, rather than once a week, they'll soon up-sticks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Magnetised water is good for health"

Well, that's me convinced. I think I'll offer him £50k. This time next year, we'll be millionaires, Rodney.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I did not know yeast were made of ferrous metal. How peculiar. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do have a few thousand very powerful magnets left over from a previous business I used to run.

I wonder whether it would be possible to create a business where you sold things you knew did not work with a guarantee of a refund if they did not work, less a restocking fee, keep on recycling the same stock over and over again and make the profit on the restocking fee. I am sure it would be illegal under The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Practices Regulations and the Sale of Goods Act, but many people don't know their rights under those.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The fiendish cunning of the man! I can't see it being any more unscrupulous than any of the miracle device companies. In fact, with clear writing on the returns policy it'd be more ethical and probably get a Clear Writing Award/

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Once upon a time, there was a leftpondian scam that worked on a similar principle:

One ordered a goose that laid golden eggs, or whatever, from small ad in the back of a magazine, next to the X-ray spectacles. If the customer found the eggs not golden enough, or the goose otherwise wanting, they'd send back the item, minus "shipping & handling", and receive a bona-fide refund check in due course. (This is set in the days when one took check to the bank, endorsed it, and handed it to a teller.)

The check would be from the " Company", which would embarrass some customers so much that they'd refrain from actually cashing the check. And it manages (does it? dunno...) to remain legal.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

All things are polarised and all things are 'electric like' in that they have directional field of energy in flow. However, in this case, how one field effects another is open for debate.

Reply to
RayL12

All brewers/pubs want the yeast filtered from the beer. It's yeast still in suspension that makes a good beer taste "off".

Reply to
alan

With the beers from some of the big brewers cleaning the pipes once a week, month or year wouldn't make any difference.

Reply to
alan

Not always the case for bottled beer.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bullshit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It probably is unless you are drinking some Belgium beer that is brewed to be "off" and you need something to disguise the taste. The instructions on most (all) real ales in bottles is to let it stand so the sediment falls to the bottom of the bottle and then to pour in manner to leave it there.

Reply to
alan

Agreed, but my point was that such beers are not 'filtered'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It is the oxidation of the alcohol by acetic acid bacteria that turns a beer. Yeast is essential to a real ale, creating a layer of CO2 in the cask that helps prevent oxidation and forming part of the head. Filtered keg beer needs CO2 gas added to form a head.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And is the cloudiness from the yeast or the wheat used to brew it?

Reply to
alan

But you don't want all of the yeast in your glass of real ale. A cask of real ale has to be racked to allow the sediment (including dead yeast) to fall to the bottom of the cask, helped along with the addition of finings.

It's the publican pulling through all the crud at the bottom of the cask with the jolly "aren't you lucky I've just managed to squeeze the last pint out for you" that suggests the pipes should be cleaned more often than once a month as claimed on the magic magnetic widget web page.

Reply to
alan

Do you mean racked, i.e. poured into a cask, or the cask placed on a rack to settle? The two are not the same thing.

You can't pull the last beer in the bottom of the cask through with a beer engine. The shape of the cask ensures that. However, I have seen people tip a small cask when using a tap. As for cleaning the pipes, I did that every time I changed the cask, which was usually about every third day.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar