3hr power cut thanks to some trees

You're clearly not distinguishing between their "wanting" and "doing".

As for their wants - believe it or not, children are individuals.

Sometimes their wants will coincide with yours, other times they won't. Sometimes you have to argue with/persuade them to do as their told, sometimes you don't. Sometimes they'll jump at the idea of something different and exciting, other times they'll just stubbornly insist that the only thing that could possibly make them happy (even if there's a power cut and a flying saucer landing in the garden) is watching the Octonauts for the twentieth time. Sometimes young children will throw a tantrum if you say they can't have [x]. Sometimes they won't - especially if you're able to divert them with something else, such as the prospect of a fire in the hearth (which hadn't occurred to them, strangely) after a rather difficult candle-lit dinner.

It sounds as if you haven't got children.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

The phrase "I want doesn't get" works quite well into training them into asking for things properly. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A biggest mistake of all is to give in to a tantrum. All it tells the child is if it makes a loud enough noise for long enough they will get what they want. Ours tried it a couple of times at home and in public but when all they got was OTT laughter and word saying how silly they looked they soon gave it up.

Pretty sure ARW hasn't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I do not have children.

But I suppose the last 6 years as a step dad counts as nothing.

Difficult candle-lit dinner my arse. Difficult candle-lit dinners are spent with the wife /gf/bit on the side and not with the kids

Reply to
ARW

Nobody should say that of a step-father. However, you were coming across as rather critical, when, as I said, the boys did have the candle-lit dinner even though it was for whatever reason not what they wanted initially.

unless there is a power cut - oh, and unless you wife is away in Brussels for the week, which I didn't mention anywhere earlier in this thread - and if you've then got to content with the fact that the power cut buggered the hard disc on the Topfield, which I have (finally, yuk) been able to recover. I just hope the boys are damned grateful for the recovery of their precious Octonauts and other programmes.

And if I weren't doing all that tedious file recovery I wouldn't be sitting at the computer so much whingeing about the trees and the power cut!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

I'm sure the power company won't give in to Michael's tantrum.

We certainly didn't give in to our children's, either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not knowingly, anyway...

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of my mum's phrases. At the time, I didn't always appreciate how right she was!

But you've got your apprentices.

And, judging by the lack of posts recently, they've been behaving?

The last useless one was fired 3 weeks ago.

The new batch of Gremlins await their fate.....

Reply to
ARW

Whoosh.

Reply to
ARW

Oops, I clumsily left that half-rewritten before sending it. I was trying to say something along the lines of "not when there's a power cut and your wife is away for a week...".

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

power is restored after an unplanned outage...

something I get from the local hire shop. In any case, I suspect they would still want to check that any anti-islanding equipment was working properly before starting work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"Them as asks, don't get." "Them as don't asks, don't want."

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

:-)

Reply to
ARW

I'll bet she always said "NO" if you forgot to say the word please when asking for something.

Reply to
ARW

The usual response was 'What do you say?'. Followed by a 'Please' from me.

Depends on the orginal request:

I want some juice. I want doesn't get. Can I have some juice. What do you say? Please.

versus

Can I have some juice. What do you say? Please.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My parents also insisted on "may I", rather than "can I".

Reply to
S Viemeister

"May I ..." also makes it a little harder for the answer after "Please" to be a plain "Yes".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice