Subject Author Posted Replies

Replacing old burner seal
I've got an ancient Potterton Kingfisher 2, due to be replaced in a year.  The plumber told me that the burner seals (ie for the front cover to the burner) need replacing.  It looks like it's just...
1
1

Radiant workshop heaters - recommendations?
Well, it's been pretty cold in the workshop today and I've had my balaclava on for most of the time. It's overdue time to get some radiant heaters over the work area - any recommendations?
10
10

Moderately OT
Can someone kindly explain how/when Thunderbird archives mail? Is it when it offers to compact stuff?
23
23

OT: Linux WTF
OK here's a Linux Q. I have a Mint install in a VM (using VirtualBox) on my Mac. The basic setup works OK and I can reach the Internet with, say, Firefox, from Linux. IOW I get to websites. But the...
6
6

Christmas killed off; By on-line shopping?
Whenever I have wanted something, usually from Amazon on the Prime next-day delivery facility, I've gone ahead and ordered it. Now, my wife is in a tizzy because she cannot find anything to put in my...
80
80

OT Refurbished Mobile Phones
I'm after a Samsung A320 (2017) which are out of manufacture now, so was considering getting a refurbished one, in good to excellent condition, unlocked, don't mind if it doesn't have charger and...
6
6

PING TNP - Gridwatch - You're going to need a bigger scale
Second interconnector 1GW up since 16th Nov French zone is now IFA1+IFA2 IFA2 100MW import yesterday Commisioning flows today IFA2 @ 500MW Import 1415 UTC IFA2 @ 1000MW Import 1430 UTC Commercial...
22
22

Telescopic ladders?
I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder. This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing a...
106
106

Elica Cooker Hoods
Has anyone any experience of them? Good/Bad? It is one of the only angled hoods that I can find that has a vent at the rear rather than needing a chimney to vent up and out. Andrew
7
7

OT What's the difference between a cat carrier and a an electricians tool bag?
It's just someone mixed the two up today.
7
7

Squeaky hinges
Hi all I have these hinges on all my internal doors the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone very squeaky so looking...
9
9

Floor temp for radiator sizing
I'm struggling to find a reference to the floor temperature and how to calculate heatloss though the floor. I have, through a link on the diyfaq: link: that assumes a temperature difference for the...
2
2

Charging electric cars
Should all electric cars use a standard European wide charging plug? Just how safe is charging an electric car when it is pouring with rain?
6
6

Kitchen Units kick board
I have just positioned a tall oven housing and some base units in our galley type kitchen. I started at the oven housing as it needed a cutout to fit round a ventilation duct. The kick board supplied...
5
5

Radiant bath/shower heater with countdown timer - ideas?
We want to put a radiant electric heater in our downstairs shower room, it's not used often enough to want to keep it permanently heated so a radiant heater of some sort would seem to make sense. So...
18
18