Subject Author Posted Replies

Toilet cistern.
My new Ideal Standard toilet cistern has no provision for an overflow. Although the fitting instructions show two filling holes and a blanking plug for one is supplied with it. But the cistern had...
15
15

extinction rebellion
One of the founders on Woman's Hour today, demonstrating how "woo-woo" she is <> Co-founder of XR, Gail Bradbrook; Prof Sasha Roseneil; Men & make-up; Dick, Kerr's ladies.
9
9

OT: Amazon
I needed to return a faulty soap dish to Amazon. So, I found an absolutely enormous box, filled it with spare padding, and stuck the soap dish inside. That's really helpful, as the recycling bin is...
16
16

Experienced !!!
Why do experienced people give a drill a wiggle when the get to depth and withdraw it? Surely it damages and nice parallel hole. In 20 years as a jig borer I never found a need to do it! And why do...
39
39

wifi strangeness
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area. Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional...
42
42

Fixed it
the ground workers that ran it over did. Straightened it up with a tow rope and added a splint. Council turned up today and removed it. http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/4/48/Fixedit.jpg
8
8

DIY & No 2's.. Anyone ever experienced this phenomenon?
For a long time now, I have this annoyance and would like to get to the bottom of it so I dont continue feeling like a dog on its walkies! I also would like to know if I am alone or if anyone else...
8
8

OT - renewables etc. in a foggy low wind day
I see that around 10% of power is coming from true renewables and not a vast amount from biomass. So we are in the much quoted overcast winter period with little solar and little wind. Just a context...
16
16

Estimated dormer cost?
Just wondering what the group would expect to pay for a dormer? Approx 6sqm, standard slate roofed Victorian terraced shop. There's already a dormer on the front, if that makes any difference, i'd...
7
7

Scottish Govt to regulate "electricians"
Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency. This can lead to customers, especially domestic consumers, hiring unqualified or less...
17
17

OT Premium bonds
Given that my bank is was only offering 0.01 % interest I took out £15k and bought Premium Bonds ....what are my chances of winning anything....anybody won with a similar stake?....
41
41

Sliding attic staircase
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of sliding attic staircases, similar to these by Bessler in the US? The key thing is that they are one-piece wooden ladders, rather than the usual sliding or folding...
10
10

Completely OT but hilarious.
I just heard Toto Wolff describe his Mercedes F1 teams performance as a 'a complete fuck up' on live TV! Sometimes the media managed news slips and reality shines through!
10
10

Why?
...do the AF nut sizes on 15mm compression fittings vary by so much? About 1.5mm between the smallest and largest here. All new. The threads seem the same - you can interchange the nuts. If space is...
9
9

Waterproof ready mixed white filler
The end wall of MIL's bungalow is rendered, and a very small bit of the render has cracked off - possibly it has been hit by a vehicle. I'm sure that the right way to fix it is to mix up a small...
7
7