38.5-39.5mm pipe.

I'm looking for some tubing of a slightly smaller diameter than "40mm" waste pipe, to fit tightly into the neck of a bottle (to construct an aquarium filter) PVC/PP/... would be OK.

However, the '40mm' pipe I measure is all a little bit more, around 40.3, to 40.5, which is a bit much.

39.5 would fit very tightly, 40.5 is too much.

Can anyone point me at a source? I can heat and stretch it to reduce diameter, but it's hard to do consistently.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Don't heat and stretch the pipe to fit, just heat and squeeze it. A pot of boiling water, boiling hard on the hob, and a pair of mole grips should help. Set the mole grips to the size you want the pipe to be, then dip the pipe in the boiling water for a minute or two. Take the pipe out of the water and immediately squeeze it in the mole grips and twist it round in one direction to reduce the end of the pipe down. Dip it in the water again and then repeat the process until you've reduced enough length of the pipe to fit in the bottle you have.

Don't try to stretch the pipe though, as this only thins the wall down to much. It's a technique used by many a plumber in times of not being able to use a connector fitting on a solvent weld straight joint. Squeeze the end of one pipe down until it fits tightly inside another pipe. Smear with solvent glue and press them together.

Reply to
BigWallop

Unfortunately not possible. Need to get 25cm reduced, and smooth, so not to impede flow, or catch stuff.

I've also used the related technique of chamfering the ends (oppositely) of two bits of PP pipe, and then heating the end of one, before pushing over another bit 'greased' with silicone sealant. A join of some 50mm on 40mm pipe is very secure, once it cools.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Ian Stirling