Subject Author Posted Replies

Paint stripper
I have already stripped one Bannister using a heat gun and the wood looks really quite nice so I sanded it and it looks really good . Thought I would strip the other aide too but as it is close to the...
19
19

Non-mist mirrors for bathroom - suppliers?
My M-I-L has asked for a large (as in can see most of oneself) mirror for the wet room and I'm not having much luck in finding anything suitable. You can get 'full length' mirrors (though a lot of...
11
11

Medical records access?
I have full access to my surgeries Patient Record for some years now and very useful it is too. I know I can ask for individual records from hospital, I have had copies provided of MRI scans before,...
22
22

Aged Birmingham Resident sought
In the early 1960's there was a Ministry of Labour Employment exchange on Soho Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham. I've been attempting to locate this on Google Maps with no success. Can anyone help?
18
18

Repair to DG windows
I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto,...
4
4

Cuprinol Wood Preserver
I've just used the very last of my 5L tin of VOC Cuprinol Wood Preserver, and am looking for a successor. Modern stuff appears to be water-based but contains the same active ingredient. However, there...
4
4

Younger folk & DIY mentality
Another example. We're fashioning a kitchen at work. Gave my eldest son (recently turned 30) the tools and basic instruction necessary to make a hole for a sink. Much pissing about later there's a...
19
19

OT mobile phone battery
Last week while making a phone call on my mobile it cut off with no battery power after around 40 minutes although previously it had been plugged in charging for a lengthy period (days). Further...
14
14

Greenhouse wifi !
Can you run a cable from the house to the greenhouse? Wired is usually the best way if you can. Alternatively have a socket added to the circuit which goes to the greenhouse near to the fuse board so...
4
4

Unexplained pipe clunk
The missus had mentioned that something we do upstairs at work makes the pipework downstairs clunk, it clunks semi-regularly when there's nothing being used. We've only a loo and a sink plumbed in...
14
14

Outside water pipes and freezing...
We've a 15mm plastic mains water pipe on an outside wall. I haven't got around to lagging it yet so as a precaution i've been turning it's supply off in the evening and had been expecting to open it...
9
9

Under sink manifold
The kitchen sink has a manifold to connect the two sinks plus overflow, waste disposal and dish washer into a single outlet. It is prone to blockage. Its a very simple piece of apparatus. A horizontal...
5
5

A party wall question...Or probably not.
This is hypothetical but had me wondering. We shared a yard wall with a neighbour, double thickness with one brick on our side and one on theirs butt up to the rear of our houses. When they had a...
12
12

Nilfisk Aero 26 - anyone used one?
I use an Earlex WD1200 as a LVHP cdust collector in the workshop but it's very noisy so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Nilfisk Aero 26, which boasts a sound output of 64dBa - any relevant...
8
8

Snake oil, or not?
I keep getting unsolicited adverts thrust at me in my Twitter feed - two of which I wonder about. One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to adjust the diopter rating of...
7
7