Subject Author Posted Replies

OT:Hoover repair - Dyson
That was the heading on a message posted on a local website. Not a Hoover Hoover, but a Dyson Hoover. Seven replies recommending local firms (no mention of Dyson Hoovers though) including this gem...
47
47

Drip trays, weep holes, and flashing
AIUI, where you have a roof butted up to a wall, there is (a) lead flashing and (b) drip trays inside the wall just above where the roof butts to the wall, so that any moisture that makes it through...
1
1

Pipe adaptor for water filter: 10 mm pushfit pipe to 1/2" or 12 mm (outside diameter) thread
We have a water filter similar to although ours is made by Blanco according to the paper label stuck on it. The threaded adaptor between 10 mm plastic pipe (Push Fit) and the female thread on the...
1
1

Leaded solder
I see neither Screwfix and Toolstation stock the real stuff, only lead free. Has there been some recent legislation I've missed or is it still allowed on non-potable water systems?
1
1

Fitting carpet - DIY?
I'm about to research DIY carpet fitting, just wondering if anyone has done the same and were you pleased with the results? The first room i'm planning to do is only about 3m x 3m so not too much of a...
21
21

Speedfit come unscewed
A heads up as much as anything. Addressing a torrent of water pissing down a wall I ran for the stopcock and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come completely unscrewed....
9
9

Masks again - FFP vented and unvented. When to discard? [Long]
As I understand it FFPn masks are designed and tested to protect the wearer. There are at least two variants - ones with an exhaust valve and ones without. If you take the WHO advice to wear at least...
5
5

Replace front tyres in pairs?
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so will need changing. I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre sellers :) ) Or shall I take it...
61
61

Beefing up a door bell
Probably a silly idea, but... I have a wireless doorbell with one chiming unit (I doubt if that's the correct term, but you know what I mean, I hope). This doorbell works flawlessly, looks neat and...
21
21

OT? Electric shavers
It's very tenuously DIY.... Apparently i've become too lazy to wet shave as regularly as I once did but I don't want a beard so I tend to give in when looking unkempt. Ergo spending half my time...
43
43

OT:TV Detector Vans
Nice article, reminding me that I used to know it was possible to detect TVs (whether it was done in practice in any large scale, I can't say) But I have lost count of the people who insisted that "it...
25
25

Wireless intruder alarm recommendations please
I want to install an intruder alarm, but I don't want the hassle of having to run wires everywhere, so I'm thinking of a wireless alarm system. I live in a small two-bedroom bungalow. There are three...
15
15

Car window controls
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas. Anyone...
19
19

FM Transmitters...
One for Brian??? I was wondering back when men were men and Libby Purves worked on the other side of the mic, radio transmitters used valves. Are there now solid state devices (big MOSFETs??) capable...
29
29

UK TOLL charge??
Hi All, A couple of local organisations are arranging meetings via Teams / WebEx which off er the option for invitees to dial in by phone. One includes the text ?Tap to join from a mobile device...
31
31