Subject Author Posted Replies

laser printer issue
Samsung printer ML-2240. If I load up with say 100 sheets x A4 it will print ok around 75 pages then it stops picking up the paper, If I top up the paper again to 100 sheets it starts picking up again...
17
17

Fake NHS Vaccination SCAM Email
Some of us can spot these a mile off. Other, less computer literate (including mobile phone users) may not. Fake NHS Vaccination SCAM Email I received this email today purporting to invite me to get a...
7
7

Drumming water system
This house, 30 years old, has two water feeds, one for a drinking water tap and one that drives through a water softener, in the garage, into the house indirect system. Twice this year the house has...
9
9

Main Stoptap
Trying to change Main stoptap comes up from concrete floor Blue MDPE PIPE , compression fitting ,both nuts off top pipe free however stoptap is stuck in blue pipe whats the best way to get out?
2
2

Bemis Statite toilet seats, only one chance to get it right?
We have some quite old Bemis toilet seats which are pretty sound still, my M-I-L has just broken hers so I was thinking of getting a Bemis to replace it. However I'm not sure I'm keen on the Bemis...
6
6

Are there any Square Piano restorers out there in D-I-Y land?
A bit of a long-shot but ... is there anyone out there who has restored, is restoring, or has worked on a 19th century square piano?
19
19

OT:Hoover repair - Dyson
That was the heading on a message posted on a local website. Not a Hoover Hoover, but a Dyson Hoover. Seven replies recommending local firms (no mention of Dyson Hoovers though) including this gem...
47
47

Drip trays, weep holes, and flashing
AIUI, where you have a roof butted up to a wall, there is (a) lead flashing and (b) drip trays inside the wall just above where the roof butts to the wall, so that any moisture that makes it through...
1
1

Pipe adaptor for water filter: 10 mm pushfit pipe to 1/2" or 12 mm (outside diameter) thread
We have a water filter similar to although ours is made by Blanco according to the paper label stuck on it. The threaded adaptor between 10 mm plastic pipe (Push Fit) and the female thread on the...
1
1

Leaded solder
I see neither Screwfix and Toolstation stock the real stuff, only lead free. Has there been some recent legislation I've missed or is it still allowed on non-potable water systems?
1
1

Fitting carpet - DIY?
I'm about to research DIY carpet fitting, just wondering if anyone has done the same and were you pleased with the results? The first room i'm planning to do is only about 3m x 3m so not too much of a...
21
21

Speedfit come unscewed
A heads up as much as anything. Addressing a torrent of water pissing down a wall I ran for the stopcock and then found a (mercifully easily accessible) speedfit elbow had come completely unscrewed....
9
9

Masks again - FFP vented and unvented. When to discard? [Long]
As I understand it FFPn masks are designed and tested to protect the wearer. There are at least two variants - ones with an exhaust valve and ones without. If you take the WHO advice to wear at least...
5
5

Replace front tyres in pairs?
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so will need changing. I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre sellers :) ) Or shall I take it...
61
61

Beefing up a door bell
Probably a silly idea, but... I have a wireless doorbell with one chiming unit (I doubt if that's the correct term, but you know what I mean, I hope). This doorbell works flawlessly, looks neat and...
21
21