Subject Author Posted Replies

Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'
Anyone convinced? Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries' Engineers explore using gentle slopes rather than steep dams or mountains to store electricity is bringing innovation to...
112
112

Paul Crutzen, Nobel Laureate Who Fought Climate Change, Dies at 87
Paul Crutzen, Nobel Laureate Who Fought Climate Change, Dies at 87 By John Schwartz, 2/4/21, New York Times a Dutch scientist who earned a Nobel Prize for work that warned the world about the threat...

OT Television Production
A couple of things intrugue me about TV production: 1. How are the backgrounds and floor effects done on shows like Dancing on Ice and Who wants to be a Millionaire. If projected, why don't the...
42
42

Dell pricing.
Been thinking about a new laptop. Old one was OK - but slow to get going now with things like Whatsapp. And not brilliant for Zoom meetings. On the reviews I read a Dell comes top of Windose machines,...
14
14

My cynicism of new builds continues ...
The full list of issues he claims ran into the hundreds, including visible plasterboard joints, cracks appearing in the walls and ceilings, damaged roof joists and drainage issues to the front garden....
1
1

windy at the moment. Hope the gearboxes don't freeze up
What powers Great Britain? Find out at Electric Insights | #energy #tech

HP 350 G2 Laptop.
Have one of these laptops. One thing about it drives me crazy. It has a conventional keyboard. When typing a number I always use the number pad. Now it does boot up with number lock on, but somewhere...
9
9

RC model glider sets new mach 0.7 world speed record
Strong Santa Ana conditions on Jan 19 2021 provided enough wind for Spencer Lisenby to bring the dynamic soaring speed record back to its birthplace of Parker Mountain, CA. Wind gusted to 65mph and...
8
8

Toilet vent
My bungalow doesn't have a toilet vent. Other identical properties in the area do. The position where the vent could have been is now a drain for the basin and bath, with the other properties don't...
23
23

Felted flat roof, moss and chippings
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge. I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big container full of...
13
13

Leak into roof of attached garage
The house is a detached bungalow, late 1960s build, with the length of the roof running from front to back so that the gutters run also front to back. Similar to looking from the front. A brick garage...
12
12

Kerosene vs diesel
Our oil burner was recently converted from diesel to kerosene. Due to a faulty level gauge the tank ran dry. By mistake I threw a couple of gallons of red diesel into the tank. I can get some kerosene...
14
14

Three phase wiring
While I was on the TLC website I was doing a thought experiment. Twin and earth cable comes in a variety of sizes: 1, 1.5, 2.5, 4, 6, 10, 16 mm2. But what if you want to wire three phase? TLC only...
55
55

101 uses for a FLIR camera
Check the feline .. would very tempted to switch to Octopus(sy) just to be able to borrow one of these things, but then I would a smart phone too. Damn. Andrew FLIR Thermal Camera - Energy Stats UK
2
2

Anyone with experience of Stovax Stockton wood burner?
I'm trying to work out why the secondary air jets which are supposed to help the clean burn aren't currently working. I've got as far as this. The air jets are in a plate in the back of the stove....
15
15