35mm flush pipe into 40mm cistern

Hello, I'd be very grateful for advice on the following problem, which I ha ve to fix before the girlfriend's mother comes to stay on Friday...

I'm finishing off the downstairs bathroom, and have a 35mm chrome flush pip e going into a Dudley Phantom cistern designed for a 40mm flush pipe (the c istern will be concealed but the pipe will not). Don't ask why

I replaced the white plastic union nut with an identical one with a bigger shoulder, tighter on the pipe. Hard washer inside that, conical rubber wash er at the top. The rubber washer isn't a very tight fit so I put silicone i n there as well. Left it a day before turning the water on. It leaked.

So I took it apart and dried it out, filled the union nut with silicone, re assembled and left for a day. Last night it seemed fine; this morning just a smear of water, so still leaking. Took it apart again. had to go to work but will have another go tonight.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion to filling the union nut with si licone and hoping it works this time?

Many thanks Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I don't really expect any bodge to fit 35mm tube in a hole designed for

40mm to be successful long term.

You can get chromed copper tube in 42mm, so could you use that instead of the 35mm? If that is not practical, do you have room to fit the proper size of pipe to the cistern and an adaptor to 35mm?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have to fix before the girlfriend's mother comes to stay on Friday...

pipe going into a Dudley Phantom cistern designed for a 40mm flush pipe (t he cistern will be concealed but the pipe will not). Don't ask why

ger shoulder, tighter on the pipe. Hard washer inside that, conical rubber washer at the top. The rubber washer isn't a very tight fit so I put silico ne in there as well. Left it a day before turning the water on. It leaked.

, reassembled and left for a day. Last night it seemed fine; this morning j ust a smear of water, so still leaking. Took it apart again. had to go to w ork but will have another go tonight.

h silicone and hoping it works this time?

Thanks. An adaptor might be the way to go. Trouble is the 35mm pipe won't f it into a 40-32mm push fit reducer (I tried).

Changing the pipe isn't an option as I have a tight deadline for this and n o way to get to a supplier, or time to order online.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

On 12/11/2013 12:30, geraldthehamster wrote: ...

If, as I suspect, the chrome tube is plated copper, it won't fit into fittings designed for plastic pipe. You probably need a BSP threaded tank connector to fit into the hole - 1.5" BSP (48mm OD) or 1.25" BSP (42mm OD) would be my guess. Then you can get a BSP to copper compression fitting. That might be available as a chrome plated item, if necessary. Don't forget to clean the chrome plating off the end of the tube before putting on compression fitting olive. Heating it and dipping it into hydrochloric acid is a very effective and controllable way to take chrome off copper, although not something everybody might want to do.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

replying to geraldthehamster, James of Abingdon wrote: What happened next? There seems to be a general problem where companies, such as Ultra Finishing, supply 35mm chrome flush pipes that have to mate to 40mmID cisterns and WC pans. I am unable to find any plumb supply centre that can provide adapters, or fittings for the 35mm pipe

Reply to
James of Abingdon