3500 messages!

You've broken the terms of the contract then. We now won't pay you...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Just back from a week at the NEC and this list has 3587 unread messages. There is no way I can read that lot.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

? Dont?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's probably only the odd 87 worth reading if it's DIY you're interested in.

If, on the other hand, you like the ravings of rabid right wing fascists who enjoy the sound of their own voice you're in exactly the right place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There hasn't been much interesting in the last week anyway.

Reply to
newshound

Serves you right for going away - next time stay home.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Well it's a very busy group. And the political chit-chat is a spicy side dish that keeps the place lively and ensures everyone visits frequently. If it were ever moderated, it would die.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

En el artículo , Muddymike escribió:

Create filters for the fuckwits like Wodney, Mr Macaw, harry, etc. and you'll probably get that down to 200.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Collapse the threads, and just read those you are interested in.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why read everything? Try to learn the difference between email and news= .

Fuck off.

-- =

Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

In message , Brian Gaff writes

The titles are not fully informative....

I have just encountered the same problem although my newsreader presents them in the collapsed form. Madeira is still there for anyone interested:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Collapse the threads, and just read those you are interested in.

They arrive collapsed so I already only read those that spark my interest.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I got distracted from reading usenet postings for about a week or so around Christmas/New year and faced a similar situation. I'm still playing 'Catch Up'. Only a mere 1682 unread now.

The first thing to do is is to delete or ignore OT threads and any that have more than a 100 or so postings where it's quite obvious from the content of the OP why the thread has had such a large number of postings (usually due to a Trollfest) or where the subject line makes it clear that it's nothing you'd be interested in in the first place. After that, it's plain sailing dealing with the remaining 2000+ postings. :-(

The simple answer is to just delete the lot unread but it can be hard to resist the temptation to trawl through the dross in the hopes of finding 'gems'. Whatja gonna do?

Reply to
Johnny B Good

After struggling with the after effects on Pan of a VM news server cockup caused by "maintenance work" about three weeks a go, I collected just over 6000 postings to this NG when re-subscribing to collect the last 21 days' worth. That's just over 2000 posts a week to this NG!

I'm not going to scrutinise every thread before deleting wholesale, just take a quick peek in any like this one that I may have made a contribution to. Also, it'll help if I killfile the usual suspects as I see them reappear after having completely reset Pan (a 'Nuke & Repave' operation).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I suspect it's downloaded everything on the server. Or have you checked dates to make sure they don't go back beyond three weeks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope, this NG *is* simply *that* busy (almost 300 posts a day!). :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Lucky you, my VM feed is currently showing 36570 unread on uk-diy and even if I mark it as read it pops up again and has been doing this for several weeks.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Blimey! That sounds like you've got the opposite problem to the one I had with Pan (it looks like you're using T/B). The timing's about right for it to be related to the message renumbering problem. Perhaps the solution's the same - unsubscribe then resubscribe (I suspect you'd need to mark all existing posts as 'Read' before deleting the lot prior to that action with maybe a restart of your news client thrown in for good measure).

I'm afraid I landed up taking a more extreme measure to fix Pan but I've finally got the unread posts figure down to 69 in this NG (that's after collecting some extra overnight postings this morning and 'reading' a good portion of them before reaching this thread).

Reply to
Johnny B Good