34mm waste

I've got a condensate waste falling into vertical 34mm plastic with a short horizontal run and then another short vertical run. It has a tendency to freeze up in winter so I'm intending to replace the two 90° bends with a couple of 135° bends to ensure it empties.

But I can't find any 34mm 135° bends.

Is it all 32mm now?

Should also have asked if 32mm solvent weld pipe is suitable for 32mm push fit fittings.

32mm isn't always 32mm. Take a bit of pipe offcut & see wha fits.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

32mm refers to the bore, not the OD.
Reply to
Nightjar

OK, so the present elbows are marked 34mm, might that be the OD and might 32mm 135° bends fit? The present arrangement has been in place for nine years and, no doubt, the ways in which sizes are described may have changed.

As with many things plumbing wise, size isn't always what you think it is :-)

Don't think it's changed for years though, it's '32 mm ' pipe I imagine.

what is type is it currently? solvent weld?

IIRC solvent weld pipe isn't quite the same size as pushfit and so not compatible - but I've not used any pushfit for years. Compression fittings are universal though (and often referred to as 1 1/4 inch). But if it's solvent weld, I'd use those.

Reply to
Chris French

You do recall correctly. I have gad to use a heatgun to swage out the larger of the two so that I could (solvent) weld a smaller bit inside in order to move from one to the other in a pipe run.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's all pushfit. Easier to fit and easier to empty the ice out of it.

Nope, solvent weld and pushfit systems are not compatible, and hence deliberately made different diameters. You can however use "universal" (i.e. compression) fittings on either)

Reply to
John Rumm

Inside - mostly...

You just need the right type of fitting for your pipe (i.e. pushfit or solvent weld - the two are not compatible in size deliberately).

Take your picK

John Rumm

Unfortunately, the only sure way to find that out is to try one against the other. However, if you accurately measure the OD of the pipe with callipers or similar (remembering that it might not be completely round, so measure different diameters at the same point and average) then find another piece of pipe of the same OD, what fits that ought to fit your pipe.

It has more to do with different manufacturers working to their own standards, plus the fact that solvent weld pipe has a different wall thickness from push-fit pipe.

Reply to
Nightjar