Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting freshly mortared brickwork
I'm having some spalled bricks removed from the chimney stack and they will be replaced with engineering bricks. The stack is painted to match the rest of the house. How soon after the bricks have...
1
1

OT: Image reversal during TV interviews
Occasionally I notice that live interviews of people on TV are reversed L<>R. It's very obvious when there is text of some sort in the background - books on a shelf, or street or shop signs. Why do...
12
12

OT. Plates that get hot in the microwave
I have a mixed selection of plates, with some of them the plate gets really hot when put in the microwave. For instance I am in the habit of defrosting a couple of slices of bread for 40 seconds and...
36
36

OT: any experiences of using Virgin media for mobile, compared to vodafone?
Thanks to MSE I see that Virgin mobile services now use the Vodafone network and offer 10GB data (+unlimited calls and texts) for £8/month. Currently I'm paying Vodafone nearly £14 for the same...
7
7

To days EICRs
A house conversion turned into 6 studio apartments 5 years ago See if you can spot what is wrong. Sorry Brian it's a photo quiz. 1. The main DB supplying the flats and the workshop at the rear. The...
31
31

OT Working from home
Who agrees with me that if you can work from home you are not doing a worthwhile job ? ...
17
17

multi fuel stove with back boiler
Hi, i have had my Hunter stove for 13 years now it has a back boiler that has worked a treat but recently I had a combi boiler fitted with new radiators which meant they had to disconnect my back...
3
3

Garden compost
Anyone with experience of these hot composters? e.g. is it just me, but does anyone hate the way Americans pronounce compost. Com-post (Post as in post a letter) Thermo-Star composter: Thermal walls...
37
37

Off-peak circuits for storage heaters
I'm trying to get to the bottom of why our Village Hall is using lots of daytime kWh even though the hall's not being used and it has Economy 7. Looking up the storage heaters it's using, the User...
22
22

HDMI output from PC.
Before I start chasing things - ie RTFM - should the HDMI feed from a graphics card also be capable of carrying system audio? On Win10, if it helps.
23
23

general recommendation question : lowara-xylem vs grunfos vs wilo vs whichever else
I have to buy a circulator pump for hot water (T max 80-90), 7-8 m head (lift), 1 m3/h flow, max power consumptio in the range 60-80 W. Duty cycle very heavy (I mean many hours of uninterrupted work)....

OT: Have you never ever ...
Bet on or been to a horse or greyhound race? I haven't, or I may have been dragged into the company Grand National sweepstake but I was never interested in watching it or the outcome. That's not...
44
44

First microwave-powered home boiler could help cut emissions
Flood of greenie news of late. Not that I'm suspicious or cynical. #justsayin' microwave-powered home boiler could help cut emissions ?Drop-in? replacement for gas boilers may help tackle challenge of...
34
34

Climate change: Jet fuel from waste 'dramatically lowers' emissions
change: Jet fuel from waste 'dramatically lowers' emissions By Matt McGrath Environment correspondent Published 1 hour ago contrail IMAGE COPYRIGHT GETTY IMAGES A new approach to making jet fuel from...
33
33

The ginger one on the ground looked tasty
The ginger wimmin protestor on the ground looked tasty. I would say yes if she asked me back for a coffee and my wife was away. Who wouldn't?
5
5