Subject Author Posted Replies

Different earthing query
I know of somebody who has got hold of some batteries that he has banked as 64v supplies with a device connected that uses an inverter to generate mains with a capacity of 6 amps. It can also keep the...
20
20

Electrical earthing question
Can anyone tell me - what is the name of the fault condition where the neutral stops working and the earth takes over as the return path and there is then a problem because (a) the earth wire is...
43
43

Mitre or chop saw for small Ally sections?.
As per title anyone got any suggestions or recommendations for the above from time to time i have a requirement to chop up short ally sections, bit of a pain using a hacksaw or jigsaw. I believe that...
19
19

English study help - please
Hello everybody, I am looking for someone who help me in studying English. I am a Roman Catholic from Poland. I have only educational purposes. My dream is to use English as well as a native speaker...
3
3

OTish - lost iPad default wallpaper
SWMBO (to say not a technical bunny would be an understatement) has somehow managed to fuck up the background on her 2022 model iPad pro. Naturally, rather than call help, she spent an hour fiddling...
5
5

Microsoft Account Puzzler
[Posting here on the assumption that anyone on also watches here.] At the moment I run my Windows PCs with local accounts (as far as I can tell - still checking). Recently I have been getting...
5
5

OT: Alternatives to u.l.m.?
For those of you who are on and have seen my numerous complaints on Is there an alternative? uk.legal has been in a coma for a while. Or would anybody want to create a new ng from scratch? It will...
21
21

Late email from National Savings
I have just received an email from National Savings telling me that I have won a prize, but it is almost time for the next draw ??!!. Anyway I checked and it was the prize that I already knew about on...
2
2

Sulking boiler
Our Vaillant ecoMAX pro is probably getting a bit long in the tooth now (18 years) but has been pretty reliable over the years. I did fit a replacement gas valve recently but it was working fine...
10
10

Smart Meter request
I contacted my supplier to ask for a smart electricity meter to be fitted, as I don't want to grovel around outside in midwinter trying to read a poor, faded liquid crystal display. Eon-next said we...
2
2

Front Bumper Damage
It’s been one of those mornings today. Owing to parked cars and a skip to navigate I caught my front bumper on a wooden fence post and this has caused an approx. 400mm split on the LH corner. Can...
41
41

Smart gas meters
My gas supply company wants me to install a smart gas meter. As I can't really find satisfactory answers on the net to the questions I have, maybe someone here can explain. The existing meter is on...
70
70

OT: EV Insurance Rates Soar!
Women and homos trying to appear to save the planet face *much* higher insurance costs: penny's finally dropping and when it's generally accepted that EVs can cause catastrophic fires which destroy...
91
91

Blow torch recommendation request
Any recommendations on which blowtorch to buy? Aside from needing a blowlamp just now to help apply flashing tape on a lead gulley I don't know if I'd get much other use out of it so cost is a factor...
26
26

Floating shelf supports
I've cut some scaffold board to fit as shelving in a couple of alcoves. I'd like a floating type support - where you can't see the brackets. I've managed this with much less substantial wood by...
6
6