Subject Author Posted Replies

shed design
Shed no 3 on the design board. This time I'll make it big enough though I have no doubt whatever the size it will get filled up On a 4m x 4m concrete base, either a pent roof, like its siblings or a...

Replacing flourescent tubes with LEDs
,,, is it as simple as removing the old tube and putting the new one in place with starter and ballast becoming just straight links ?
41
41

Combi Controller With WiFi?
Is a heating/hot water controller with WiFi a thing? I can't find anything like that. I'm looking for a two channel (heat and hot water) programmer that can turn those two functions on an off to a...
9
9

Cine Editors
Hi All, I am considering purchasing a second hand Cine Editor (viewer). Some listings state that they are dual (8mm and Super 8),some just say 8mm. Is it the case that they would all work with both...
11
11

Home automation project battery charger spinoff.
Playing with a 4 way relay board to make a 'Smart' 4 way trailing socket the other day and also getting a mobility scooter in the back garden hooked up to a charger indoors, got me thinking about all...

Is there a tool to assist *threading* cable ties?
I have searched and can't find anything that does this. There are loads of "cable tie guns" which simply tighten the tie and cut the end off, but that's the easy bit to do manually! I have a job...
37
37

Mains off - back on - no TV
I cycled the mains off and back on a few times by means of the RCD, now a TV doesn't work. could be a coincidence? Or do folk tend to unplug stuff?
16
16

What's this fly ?
We had an odd looking fly indoors today. SWMBO thought at first it was a hummingbird hawk moth, but this was a fly not a moth. At rest it had its proboscis out about 5mm as if seeking to feed. Wings...
4
4

Shower pump location
I am planning to re-furbish an en-suite bathroom, and am considering installing a Stuart-Turner Monsoon twin impellor pump. I currently have a Mira Vigour wall-mounted power shower with built-in pump...
14
14

Connectors - and ring mains
I just watched another of Tim Hunkin's excellent videos - this one is on connectors: of the connectors he deals with is the UK 13A power plug. He claims that it was introduced in about 1947 because of...
48
48

Plumbing question
Some places where the new plastic pipes in the ground have replaced the old metal ones this sort of issue has got worse.Water is funny stuff. I distinctly remember duct taping a plastic bottle to the...
2
2

HRH Prince Philip.
Just heard a recording of him on R4 saying the main problem the world faced was increasing population. Good to know he did his bit, then. ;-)
5
5

Separating the pages of fully flood-soaked books , that later totally dried out?
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages. Next book,...
10
10

Load bearing 5*2 1080 centres
I'm trying to work out what weight can be safely put on timbers supporting a shallow sloping roof. I potentially need to get up on the roof to service the plastic covering and also the flashings at...
9
9

shame that
he won't be getting a telegram from the queen now...
22
22