30 amp power supply for tumble dryer

I've recently purchased a large american tumble dryer, which unfortunately comes without installation instructions etc.

As will become clear, I don't have a clue about electrics, and I just want to make sure everything is safe.

The instructions on the back of the machine state "Use a new UL approved 30 amp power supply cord or 10 gauge solid copper wire".

However, the machine has a normal 3 pin 13 amp plug on it just now.

Question: is it safe to plug this into a normal socket and use? Or do I need to run a new 30 amp cable from the consumer unit? (when I say "I", a proper electrician will be doing the work if needed, thankfully!!)

Reply to
hillbroom

I suspect that label. 30A at US 110V is a tad over 3kW - as is 13A at 240V.

OTOH, it might not have been reset to UK voltages...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That is possible, however note that most US houses have a 110-0-110 connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run them from 220V. So it may be possible that it needs that much power.

Does it have a power rating anywhere?

Reply to
John Rumm

Where from ? :-)

What's it's origin? Some machines brought in by American Forces or Embassy personnel had a transformer installed within the appliance by a local electrican over here, alternatively some electricians preferred to install a central transformer in the house and run 110v radial circuits out to the appliances.

Then again American appliances can be 110v-0-110v

I think that is unlikely

You might need to look out for one with experience in the field of installing US appliances over here.

The 30 amp configuration will presumably be at 110v single phase. The presence of the 13amp plug could indicate that it has been fitted with a transformer and draws less (probably not much less) than 13 amps at

240 volts. It really has to be determined for sure.

Was it previously working without problems wherever it came from ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I doubt if there are _any_ US dryers which run on 110. All that I've seen lately, have been 220 (years ago, 250).

Reply to
S Viemeister

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

>> connection to the mains. Hence for large fixed appliances they can run

> Does it have a power rating anywhere?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Yup, sorry thinking site transformers ;-)

Still, the same logic applies - don't assume that is 120V 30A... in fact if it *is* 120V definitely don't try running from 240V!

Reply to
John Rumm

Some parts (such as California) have dropped back from

120V to 117V more recently as an energy saving measure.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

PSE&G in New Jersey claims to be 110v. As do a number of other suppliers.

50 years ago, higher voltages were common.

It's a big country - what's true in one area, may not be true elsewhere.

Reply to
S Viemeister