Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: The 1% Club
Anyone else watch this show? I can't see how the questions are ordered. They're supposed to be in order of difficulty, but I find personally a pretty random distribution with some of the supposedly...
23
23

Light switch wiring
Hi All, I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting,...
7
7

Old good quality plastic suitcases - clue to material for recycling?
We have inherited a couple of very strong but very heavy plastic suitcases. I have no idea what they are made of, but modern suitcases are much, much lighter and still very strong. Also under £100....
2
2

Using multi core cable instead of single core
Hi all, I am doing some wiring outside to put some sockets for my outdoor kitchen. The cable will be channeled into a wall and rendered over and then there will be a short exposed section (behind a...
13
13

Chuck keys - how are they sized?
I need a chuck key for a little pillar drill's chuck, it's a 6mm capacity chuck. I'm not sure if I never had the chuck key or if I lost it but I need a new one anyway. So, how are chuck keys sized?...
2
2

Bass Boost on a Panasonic TV
My new TV is a Panasonic TX-42MZ800B. It gets its input from a Humax PVR. At the moment I route the sound output from the PVR directly to my Hi-Fi unit because I find that the speakers on the TV lack...
12
12

Stud Finder
Somebody asked recently about a stud finder, don't know if this is of interest: is ludicrous. https://walabot.com/en-gb/products/walabot-diy-2-m
10
10

Advice: choosing replacement boiler installer
Old combi boiler (c2006) needs to be replaced. There are two local installers for the boiler I have in mind, both approved by the manufacturer: 1) A one man band 2) A company with several gas safe...
8
8

External WiFi aerial or full access point?
The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at the back. I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access Point to take the WiFi out into the back...
45
45

Removing blade from a Honda mower.
A friend 'obtained' for me a self-propelled Honda petrol mower. It probably has never been serviced and is, at a guess, 5 years old at least). The blade (rather annoyingly an inch longer than the...
20
20

An easy fix for a shaking washing machine
My Bosch washing machine is 21 years old and going well but had slowly become very shaky. These things progress gradually (like age!) so I didn't notice until one day the thing was trying to waltz...

Lawn scarifiers
My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes for the motor. It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up...
10
10

"The Cloud"
The local history archive where I volunteer is proposing to put all it's files on the cloud. I know very little about the cloud. As far as my knowledge goes, rather than having your computer storage...
23
23

Why does corded curtain track have to be a continuous loop?
We are choosing curtain tracks for our new extension and looking at corded tracks. However it seems all systems we can find, Swish, Silent Gliss etc only use continuous looped cords, which add another...

OT: Today's Freecycle
Somebody has given up on the exercise idea: OFFER: AbSwing exercise machine (Barningham, Bury St Edmunds) OFFER: AbFlex exercise machine (Barningham, Bury St Edmunds) OFFER: Ab-Doer xtreme abdominal...
2
2